1960's solitaire & band
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 03:06 PM,
Heart  1960's solitaire & band
OK, my Mother gave me her platinum original wedding set from my Father. I want to do something with it but I am not sure what. It needs to be sized and some work. It looks a bit beat up, but she wore it for 33 years so it's not THAT tired lol. Here are some pictures, any suggestions welcomed because solitaires are so not my thing.

I was thinking a big old rock in there, antique cut 100% sure, but the shape I am not set on. It originally held a 1ct RB.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
mom1 by Olivejuice143, on Flickr

mom3 by Olivejuice143, on Flickr

mom2 by Olivejuice143, on Flickr

mom4 by Olivejuice143, on Flickr

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 04:09 PM,
RE: 1960's solitaire & band
It is pretty! The prongs are integrated so it will not be a super cheap fix but I vote oec or transitional.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 04:11 PM,
Oh I love it! So classic and beautiful.

[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 05:08 PM,
Heart Thank you for commenting, honestly. I am 100% at a loss. Jenn and Ruby (haha new name for you Stardust) - if you could do anything, what would you do?

I know if I rehab this I'm going to add stackers ... maybe antique eternity bands. Oh and do I have it cleaned up, like polished? I feel like the metal should be the way it is, patina'd (like that new word lol?)

[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 05:11 PM,
I would honestly do an OEC moissy in that baby. I would personally not polish it up, but if it's going to be sized that's a different story. They'll kind of have to. I'd want to keep it as close to "original" as possible so I would not try to add a new head (which would be tricky given that it is integrated.)

I think it will look gorgeous with antique stackers, but I quite like it on it's own too. How wonderfully versatile!

[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 05:49 PM,
I like the patina, but when you resize you will have to repolish like stadust said, or that will look silly. I like moiss better than cz, so would put moissy in it. If you want an antique cut that leave you one option. I think a modern cut would look fab in it though. Wink And the head... it will need to be rebuilt and I am not sure how much they can do. Will you really wear this Olive?? It will be an undertaking to get it to hold anything big.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes MissKK's post:
  • MicheleZ
04-13-2013, 06:06 PM,
what about putting in your moms birthstone? then you could make a stack and get some bands with your kids or other family members birthstones. it would be a fun way to stack I think. Anyway just a idea! I love the oec idea too.

[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 07:39 PM,
LOVE the idea of your mom's birthstone and antique stackers! Could you be happy with a 1 carat equivalent of your mom's birthstone so that you don't have to rebuild the head? You can bling it up with an additional band(s) instead. Because the shank is simple and the prong head is such a fundamental part of the design, I fear that it wouldn't feel like her ring anymore with a new head.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Olivejuice's post:
  • JuBe, MicheleZ
04-14-2013, 05:55 AM,
Great ideas, all of them. I think I would go for an OEC but honestly I am pretty confused about what I would want. I think I'm going to just wait a while and see what I really want before doing anything.
Thank you for the ideas, I'll be posting once I figure it out lol

[-]
  •
04-14-2013, 07:32 PM,
I agree with the idea of a colored stone. I don't see a way to change it up without spending what you could spend to buy a new ring.