2 questions on AG
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 01:20 AM,
2 questions on AG
Hi ladies,

I hope you can help me out with my questions.

1. Do you ever remember seeing H IF AG? I want warm color and it seems that H is the lowest color but I have yet to see H IF combo. I am asking cos I am wondering if that's a possible combo. If not, I should look at other combo.

2. The cert number is stated but where are the certs? Can I see the certs before buying?

Thank you. Smile

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 03:58 AM,
RE: 2 questions on AG
@IceBling - I do remember seeing a batch with H colour AG's but I think they were a fluke and so far I dont think anymore have been produced. I would go with a G colour. My cushion is a G colour and when I had it set into my custom 3 stone by DK, he appraised it as more of an H colour in terms of diamond grading. It is certainly nicer to my eye than the E colour of my original AG which was a little too ice white for me.

The certs are from NAGL (Northern American Gemological Laboratory) and show stone stats like actual weight, equivalent diamond weight, clarity, colour, cut grade, polish, symmetry and fluorescence. Not surprisingly cut grade, polish and symmetry are all given as ideal and excellent. I would take the certs with a grain of salt (I've never even heard of NAGL before I bought the AG!) but they are helpful when you want to refer to your stone dimensions etc.

No, as far as I'm aware, you cant see the certs on the website before buying. However it cant hurt to email Better Than Diamond and ask if you can see the cert of the stone you are interested in before buying. I have found customer service helpful with a lot of my questions so far but they may not want to do this for you if you want to look at a lot of the certs

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 06:35 AM,
(07-29-2014, 03:58 AM)Bling It On Wrote: @IceBling - I do remember seeing a batch with H colour AG's but I think they were a fluke and so far I dont think anymore have been produced. I would go with a G colour. My cushion is a G colour and when I had it set into my custom 3 stone by DK, he appraised it as more of an H colour in terms of diamond grading. It is certainly nicer to my eye than the E colour of my original AG which was a little too ice white for me.

The certs are from NAGL (Northern American Gemological Laboratory) and show stone stats like actual weight, equivalent diamond weight, clarity, colour, cut grade, polish, symmetry and fluorescence. Not surprisingly cut grade, polish and symmetry are all given as ideal and excellent. I would take the certs with a grain of salt (I've never even heard of NAGL before I bought the AG!) but they are helpful when you want to refer to your stone dimensions etc.

No, as far as I'm aware, you cant see the certs on the website before buying. However it cant hurt to email Better Than Diamond and ask if you can see the cert of the stone you are interested in before buying. I have found customer service helpful with a lot of my questions so far but they may not want to do this for you if you want to look at a lot of the certs

I agree with taking the certs with a grain of salt re cut, polish and symmetry. As well, the ideal scope image on the certification included with your particular stone is generic. If you are buying anything other than an IF, type and location of inclusion is not revealed. I do believe that, if BTD is selling the AG with a cert and an ideal scope image, it should be specifically of the stone you are buying and explain type and location of inclusions if any because, otherwise, what's the point of certifying it? And there is a premium depending on clarity. Cost has been cited as the issue.

Having said that, if you want more information about any of their stones, e-mail them and they will provide it. I was interested in a few different AG's before finally settling on the one I have and they did provide what I was looking for. Their customer service is great and they do have a generous return policy so, if it's not for you, it shouldn't be an issue returning it.

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 07:36 AM,
I actually believe that the last bunch of AG had quite a few H colored stones, I cannot remember if they were IF or not, but in the smaller sizes they sell out SUPER FAST. There is actually one H VS2 available now. My AG is a G VS2 and absolutely eye clean. I was not able to spot any inclusions with a 10X and 40x loupe when it was unset. That all being said, I think an H color IF AG would be lovely. If one around the 1ct size does come up I would have to say I would buy it in a heartbeat! But I have an addition that is getting worse and not better, so you just listening to a junkie! The getting worse part is all @Bling It On fault too! Her and her transitional and OEC diamonds looking! Now I am looking at real transitional and OEC diamonds...BAH! Still can get over the price of the real thing but my goodness they are sublime!

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 08:43 AM,
Agreed, it is not like an AGS or GIA cert. They are all pretty much the same, they just change the dimesnions and colour/clarity. I do not recall seeing H IF either.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 09:16 AM,
@Brit - Oh you can't blame me, there has been lots of old cut diamond love on the boards recently and it's just so hard not to get hooked once you see those stones with the chunky facets and amazing fire!. @MicheleZ , @jenncent and @idahosubaru started it with their amazing and huge ACCs. And who could forget @ JooJooBee4 's new to-die-for OMB

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 09:37 AM,
Yes I've discovered that old cuts are my thing Wink.

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 06:16 PM,
(07-29-2014, 03:58 AM)Bling It On Wrote: @IceBling - I do remember seeing a batch with H colour AG's but I think they were a fluke and so far I dont think anymore have been produced. I would go with a G colour. My cushion is a G colour and when I had it set into my custom 3 stone by DK, he appraised it as more of an H colour in terms of diamond grading. It is certainly nicer to my eye than the E colour of my original AG which was a little too ice white for me.

I heard something similar about the color gradings being a bit overly generous. I was advised to stay away from an H colored AG if I am expecting it to replace my current e-ring center stone (H colored diamond). But I've heard nothing but great things about G colored stones, so that is likely what I will go for if I end up purchasing one.

[-]
  •
07-30-2014, 09:35 AM,
@Bling It On Thanks for your response. Smile That part about the cert is new to me. I didn't know it's a generic cert.

@mmascall It sounds like they are trying to keep price down for consumers by not doing real individual certs. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad to know that it's alright to email them for a cert. Smile

@Brit I saw that H VS too but I'm still holding out for an IF. Besides, 2.47 ct is too big for me. Cry

@jenncent I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that isn't an H IF. I have always wondered if I'm too slow to get to their launch and hence missed out on the H IF. Since you don't see them too, maybe I should change my desired combo slightly.

@lovedogs Thanks for confirming @Bling It On 's observation that AGs are graded slightly more leniently on their color. So now my modified combo is G IF!!! I'm gonna wait for that to launch!

Thank you everyone for help, observations and sharing. Grouphug It makes it much easier to determine my new desired combo. Cheer

[-]
  •
07-30-2014, 10:20 AM,
@IceBling - they are not generic certs, each cert will be specific to that particular AG. However some aspects of the cert are generic like Idealscope images of the AG.
Apparently clarity is graded a little leniently too. There were reports on BTD Forum that an IF AG had a slight inclusion which was discovered when a jeweller appraised it. Anyway, BTD promises that all AGs are eye clean even the SI ones