3.14 OMC in a Van Craeynest setting ....
[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 08:14 AM,
3.14 OMC in a Van Craeynest setting ....
Okay, soooooo ... earlier this year I got a gorgeous 2.37 K VS1 OMC in a platinum & emerald Art Deco setting from Adam at Old World Diamonds, and I adored it. I got my transitional when I was carrying my son, and since my daughter is due in February, it felt like there was a nice parallelism in balancing out the other hand. Smile

But then ....

... even thought I had precisely zero plans to upgrade, I stumbled across a vintage Van Craeynest 1034. This has been my favorite setting, bar none, for years and years and years, but since Van Craeynest changed hands before I could snap one up and the new factory set-up is only producing limited designs, I'd resigned myself to just longing for it from afar. So given the opportunity to get my hot little hands on one of my own, there was no way I could resist.

I thought about just popping a colored stone in there, but it felt like it would be weirdly incongruous to pop an amethyst or something in there, and finding a good sapphire, ruby, or emerald with the right dimensions would have cost me as much as ... well, as much as an upgrade to an appropriately sized diamond! So I went back to the OWD website, spotted what looked to be a diamond with the right specs - BUT NO PICS! - crossed my fingers, and took the plunge. Adam got back to me in record time, confirmed that it had a great make, held it for me until I could come in to eyeball it for myself, and, BOOM! I was the proud owner of an EGL O-P, VS1, dimensioned 9.02mm by 8.51mm by 6.05mm. Meet Pi. Smile

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 08:16 AM,
RE: 3.14 OMC in a Van Craeynest setting ....
As an aside: for years and years I've been saying that if I had a warm stone, I'd want to play it up in a warm metal ... and then I've been consistently falling for platinum settings, because I'm a Deco girl through and through. SO HAPPY this setting came along, because I LOVE the way the faint yellow stone and the warm yellow gold interact! In most light it's a lovely, clearly discernible pale yellow. On occasion it goes into cream territory, depending on the light, and in strong sunlight, I swear it looks grey (yeah, I don't know either, but I love grey, so I'm actually delighted about the variety!). I know this is the rallying cry of the blingaholic in prime justification mode, but I think this is IT for me. Smile

[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 08:17 AM,
For max contrast, I pair it with my ~3tcw french cut band, which is G in color ... I love the tone, but as one friend put it, it's a whole lotta ring! So maybe I'll save that for special occasions. Blush

[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 08:27 AM,
Wow!!! @Circe Pi is just gorgeous, with beautiful colour, and I am so glad you got your dream setting!!!

[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 08:36 AM,
Oh YUM. That setting (not the exact one I'm sure, but a 1034 came up on DB years ago. If I'd had the funds, I'd have bought it. It's my favorite of all the VC's. This is an EXCELLENT choice!

Have you tried pairing it with your VC band? I bet that would look flipping unreal.

You've got a winner there, my friend. Congratulations!

And, ahem.....I do not think I knew you were pregnant?! That deserves ANOTHER congratulations! This is the perfect ring. I cannot envision something more divinely feminine. I definitely want to see a video of this one in action. I imagine it's sublime. Heart

[-] The following 1 user Likes Circe's post:
  • stardust
01-03-2015, 08:44 AM,
Thank you, @ringcat , on all fronts!

@stardust, was it Angeline's? That's the one that started my passionate love for it! But I didn't think my transitional would look good in it (a hair too small, more modern faceting), so I dithered, and then it was gone. Sad So this was like a perfect second chance!

I've tried it with my other bands, and oddly enough ... I don't know if I like it with the VC bands! This setting is *massive,* and I feel like any band that doesn't match it in width just gets lost. I need to do a photo-shoot for examples ...

And thank you as well for the bebe congratulations! I'm so excited for a little girl. And this way, I figure when they're big enough/ I'm old enough, they'll each have one to inherit ....

[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 09:50 AM,
Yes! She had put a synthetic ruby in it and it looks delicious. But I agree, it needs an older diamond to do it justice. She had lost the band that went with it, but the photos of the set were stunning. However, she didn't have any good close ups of her *wearing* the set, so I never got to see how it functioned on. I definitely trust your aesthetic judgment on this one though!

I'm not going to say no to a photo comparison. Angel

[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 10:54 AM,
That is gorgeous! I think the stone looks perfect in yellow gold. Congratulations on the baby girl!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 10:59 AM,
Wow Circe!!! That is phenomenal! The faceting on that diamond is literally perfect. What a score!! And colour wise, while warm, it is very white for an O/P imo. I am so happy for you!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-03-2015, 11:53 AM,
Oh my goodness, I LOVE THIS MORE THAN I CAN SAY. This ring is AMAZING in every way - LOVE the low colored stone with that ring and the stone itself is beautiful!

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*