3 stone wedding set CADs/wax model pics - what are your thoughts??
[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 01:03 AM,
3 stone wedding set CADs/wax model pics - what are your thoughts??
Hi lovely ladies,

So I've received CADs and wax model pics from DK today for my 3 stone wedding set with cushion AG and pink moissy sidestones.

This is my first custom project and as you all have more experience than me with this, I was hoping you could all take a look and provide me with anything you would change or any other things I should be aware of. Any comments or pointers would be appreciated greatly!!

Inspiration pics - I ended up choosing a classic trellis design for this 3 stone wedding set as I already decided to go with pink moissy sidestones and if I had chosen the floral theme 3 stone ring, I think it would have ended up being too girly girly for me.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Draft designs are below. I asked DK to add in baskets for extra security to hold the stones in as per inspiration pics. I was happy with the look of everything else. DK assures me the regular rounded prongs will be shorter and close to the stone once all my stones are set. I want smooth prongs, not scratchy ones!!

Also, I like how the cushion looks next to the round sidestones. I wasnt convinced that all stones would look ok together as they are different shapes but I like the proportions

Wax models pics I received today. what do you think? Are there any aspects that I should be made aware of or should ask to change? The band looks quite thick to me but I'm not sure this is because the wax ring is thicker than how it will be made of metal. Both 3 stone ring shank and wedding bands will be 2.25mm thick and comfort fit. 14k white gold.
Also - the pink moissys look much darker than they do IRL, I think this can just be attributed to DK's notoriously overexposed photos

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 02:15 AM,
RE: 3 stone wedding set CADs/wax model pics - what are your thoughts??
Wow, those stones look fantastic together!!! This is going to be so beautiful!

The only thing I noticed is that the shank on both inspiration pics is more rounded than the shank on the cads and wax model for the three stone. The wedding band is very round on the sides, do you want the three stone shank to match more closely or do you like the squared off sides? Also the band looks almost knife edge, is that what you asked for? I thought it was going to be a domed etoile band.

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 03:56 AM,
Oooh, no constructive comments, just loving those stones together!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 06:37 AM,
This is going to be lovely!! It does appear that your inspiration has skinnier curves than the wax model. I know wax models are sometimes a bit bulky, but I would just make sure its the level thickness that you want.

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 07:04 AM,
Wax models are 10% larger than the finished product. DK told me that. With that in mind, I do think your trellises are too big. There isn't as much negative space as there is in either of the inspiration pics.

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 07:20 AM,
@always hmmmm, yes I see what you mean. Though the trellis depends on the size of the stones as it peaks where the prongs of the stones are. In the inspiration pics, especially the Vatche inspiration pic, the centre stone sits a bit higher than the sidestones so the trellis is a bit skinnier. However I don't want the centres tone in my ring to sit a lot higher. Not sure how to make the trellis smaller in my ring as it really depends on the size of the stones and how the prongs from the trellis design

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 07:29 AM,
@yonder , yes I'm going to ask DK to make the 3 stone shank more rounded like the band which I want to be domed not knife edge

@ JooJooBee4 - yes I think the curves are not as skinny because I don't want the sidestones much lower than the centre stone. In the Vatche inspiration pics, the sidestones are set a bit lower than the centre stone therefore the trellis design is a bit skinnier and not as flat/wide as they look in my ring

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 07:35 AM,
@Bling It On
I was referring to the thickness of the metal making up the trellis. In the inspiration pics, there are open areas that look like triangles. In the wax models, those areas are closed due to the thickness of the metal. It takes away from it looking like a trellis, to me anyway. I circled the areas in the pic.

If the metal was thinner, there would be open areas without having to change the position of the stones.

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 07:45 AM,
Gotcha! I think it looks great then Wink

[-]
  •
05-06-2014, 08:05 AM,
(05-06-2014, 07:35 AM)always Wrote: Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
@Bling It On
I was referring to the thickness of the metal making up the trellis. In the inspiration pics, there are open areas that look like triangles. In the wax models, those areas are closed due to the thickness of the metal. It takes away from it looking like a trellis, to me anyway. I circled the areas in the pic.

If the metal was thinner, there would be open areas without having to change the position of the stones.

Those are 2 different angles though. The inspiration is viewed directly from the side and the wax is on an angle.

I think it looks right..the middle has less but that makes sense because it's lower/less of an angle with the sidestones like she asked.

ETA I see where you are talking about now. I actually like the wax better lol but it's not my ring Wink good catch

It's gorgeous bling it on, makes me a bit sad I went with a solitaire lol