5 stone help: sims? Moiss? Antique stone rescue?
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:04 PM,
5 stone help: sims? Moiss? Antique stone rescue?
I didn't want to bring up sims in my post on PS about my "waffling" back and forth between modifying my e-ring temp setting or going for the 5 stone for our 5 year anniversary in may, but what do you all think about going with a sim or a Moiss for the band?

DH is getting a little surly about modifying the temp setting if I don't plan on keeping it forever, so I waffling back over to a 5 stone.

(You can read the thread and my emo ramblings here: Indecision on setting vs 5 stone: More Waffle than an IHOP )

What my perfect 5 stone would be:
*Old cut stones, either OEC, OMC, etc
*YG (or rose gold) shank, with WG or Plat holding the stones
*Antique details on profile/gallery, or engraving on the shank, or overall deco/edwardian/antique look
*Under budget (which I could stretch up to a max of 1k, but it would take time, right now I have $500 available)

I'm open to suggestions-- Rescue antique stones and reset them? Keep searching for a ready antique setting? Get a nice setting with poor stones and replace them with sims? Wink OECs or Moiss? Have a totally new ring in the style I want made (this seems hard to stay under budget) with sims or Moiss, and then change them out later (aka if I went with sims) for long-term wear?

I do really love the idea of an OEC moiss band to match my 7mm OEC e-ring, but the cost of even the smallest size x5 + settings is just so terrifying!Hide

I do need something hardy enough to be worn daily and I'm super clumsy, so I worry that sims won't hold up, but it would be tricky to try to find stones to fit a setting instead of a setting to fit stones.

ARGH! I just don't know what to do. Help

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:26 PM,
RE: 5 stone help: sims? Moiss? Antique stone rescue?
I read through your thread on PS and they have some great suggestions. I would probably redo the e-ring in a better inexpensive setting and save for the 5 stone you really want. If you don't even wear it because you hate it so much then it is not doing any good at all even if it is a temp. You can always get the VanCraeynest you want later. But a 5 stone will be more expensive than your budget right now and you may not be happy with it.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • Galateia
03-23-2013, 07:30 PM,
The smallest moissy OECs are 3mm, and they are $102 each. I don't know about other vendors, but I know that we have access to antique OEC diamond melee for $1200/ct.. so those are just slightly more expensive than the moissanite. I do not want to suggest spending more than your $500 budget, but I do not know how to get you stones other than CZ unless you do decide you want to spend more. Turks has Wink OECs for studs and loves them! They may not last a lifetime, nit I bet you would get a few years out of them. Wink And do not think it would be that hard to source OEC diamonds at a later time that are around 3mm or 4mm or whatever you are wanting.

I don't know what you should do with the setting though. 2 tone is going to increase the cost more, and good hand engraving/detailing is going to be half your budget. If you CAN find a antique ring and swap out the stones, I would do that. Wink can custom cut to whatever size needed, and then you can just be on a diamond hunt that could last for a as long as you need to get all the right sizes. Smile And there is always a bit of wiggle room, as long as it is prong set. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:37 PM,
(03-23-2013, 07:26 PM)idahojeep Wrote: I read through your thread on PS and they have some great suggestions. I would probably redo the e-ring in a better inexpensive setting and save for the 5 stone you really want. If you don't even wear it because you hate it so much then it is not doing any good at all even if it is a temp. You can always get the VanCraeynest you want later. But a 5 stone will be more expensive than your budget right now and you may not be happy with it.

Well, right now they are suggesting I spend my budget on a vacation, which is just not in the cards right now, ay yi yi!

I think I am going to leave the e-ring project on the back burner for now, because not only is it irritating DH, there is no rush on resetting it. Right now, it looks like it's going to cost enough to change it that it's better that I put that $$ towards either the eventual setting or the 5 stone.

But, do you think it's impossible to get a decent 5 stone for under 1k?Cry

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:40 PM,
I think your definition of "decent" is actually "mildly fabulous", so yes, I think you will be presses to get it how you want it for 1k. I think the setting will be 1k at least, plus the stones.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:45 PM,
(03-23-2013, 07:30 PM)jenncent Wrote: The smallest moissy OECs are 3mm, and they are $102 each. I don't know about other vendors, but I know that we have access to antique OEC diamond melee for $1200/ct.. so those are just slightly more expensive than the moissanite. I do not want to suggest spending more than your $500 budget, but I do not know how to get you stones other than CZ unless you do decide you want to spend more. Turks has Wink OECs for studs and loves them! They may not last a lifetime, nit I bet you would get a few years out of them. Wink And do not think it would be that hard to source OEC diamonds at a later time that are around 3mm or 4mm or whatever you are wanting.

I don't know what you should do with the setting though. 2 tone is going to increase the cost more, and good hand engraving/detailing is going to be half your budget. If you CAN find a antique ring and swap out the stones, I would do that. Wink can custom cut to whatever size needed, and then you can just be on a diamond hunt that could last for a as long as you need to get all the right sizes. Smile And there is always a bit of wiggle room, as long as it is prong set. Smile

Hmm, so it would be feasible to get a nice antique setting with terrible stones, and swap them out for Wink's stones? Any idea on how much it would cost for that portion, so I can get an idea of what the setting budget would be? Assuming my budget is around 1k.

Or alternately, what would be a reasonable budget for a 5 stone with the 3mms (either Moiss or the OECs) so I know what my perspective should be?

I really appreciate your help with all of this, you all are so patient! Grouphug

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:49 PM,
(03-23-2013, 07:40 PM)jenncent Wrote: I think your definition of "decent" is actually "mildly fabulous", so yes, I think you will be presses to get it how you want it for 1k. I think the setting will be 1k at least, plus the stones.

Ooops, I was typing up my reply as you posted. So let's say I went the route of a decent setting for 1k, how much would it cost to get Wink stones in it, do you think?

What really frustrates me is that ring I fell in love with that my friend sniped from me was only 800, and just needed to be sized! Argh!

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:51 PM,
The only way I could see this working is if you contacted poppy to see if she could do a setting (I'm thinking one of her trellis) and add engraving, and then use Wink OECs. Jenn is right and I LOVE my wink OECs!! You could also use ChrisCZs - which are very inexpensive and look great after you bake them! You could do this and save up for moissy OEC's, but keep your forevery setting!

[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM,
Wink stone and setting can't be that much...$100 for setting plus $100 for stones? If that.

What kind of friend does that?!?! I would be ticked at her!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-23-2013, 07:55 PM,
oh yeah!! Chris stones!!! Does he have smaller ones?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers