Am I A Party of One?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Barlan's post:
  • moissypaws
12-27-2013, 02:31 PM,
Am I A Party of One?
I read a lot about the flat crown on moissanite being a dead giveaway that it is not a diamond. I love the flat crown. It gives the stone a very sleek look as opposed to really high crowns. The OEC seems to have almost a bubble top to it which looks very strange to me. I haven't seen too many diamonds with that type of crown. I know many of you love the OEC cut, but it seems to me that it looks less diamond like than the RB. Am I wrong?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 03:07 PM,
RE: Am I A Party of One?
Well, the OEC moissanite won't look anything like a RB diamond... Though, I've seen a few people say that OEC moissanite looks very much like an OEC diamond. The high crown or "pillow top" is common with antique cuts. Erica from JbEG compared OEC a moissanite and diamond awhile back.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Ot...&k=SHz3zKk

[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 03:10 PM,
^^^ yup! The pillowy top is one of the characteristics of old cuts that antique stone lovers go gah gah over.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 2 users Like HS4S's post:
  • moissypaws, Taeyers
12-27-2013, 03:15 PM,
I went to a jeweler today to have my grandmother's ring repaired and was wearing my oec.....the jeweler commented about my fantastic antique "diamond". He said it was a great cut. This is an older jeweler who has been around for a while. I immediately took it off, handed it to him and told him to check out my moissanite :-) He was flabbergasted. I am thinking here people have not seen a lot of moissanite. I live in a small beach community of retirees.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • moissypaws
12-27-2013, 03:21 PM,
I hit up a few jewelry stores today browsing for rose gold stackers and was complimented on my beautiful diamond (shh, it's an OEC moissy). I didn't feel the need to share with the sales clerk. Oops, my bad Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes HS4S's post:
  • moissypaws
12-27-2013, 03:42 PM,
Lol. I was not going to share but I couldn't help it. He was so surprised too! I felt like he thought I was pulling his leg. Funny :-)

[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 03:47 PM,
I love that!!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 04:11 PM,
I inherited an old miner's cut diamond. It weighs 1.35 cts and is H color. I love it but it doesn't exhibit a high crown. I'm very surprised that so many of you enjoy old cuts. The modern brilliant cut was perfected to maximize the beauty of the diamond that was not possible with the older cuts. I was actually advised by a jeweler to have my stone recut, not that I would. Other than jewelers, do lay people think your stone is a diamond since it looks so different?

[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 04:22 PM,
I have both and they are both great. Just different. The oec has a very interesting pattern and cut. The rb has more glittery fire. I think my mood will probably determine the days favorite :-) If you Google oec there are a lot of examples and pictures. Mostly ps diamonds and it seems many enjoy the cut.

[-]
  •
12-27-2013, 04:32 PM,
(12-27-2013, 04:11 PM)Barlan Wrote: I inherited an old miner's cut diamond. It weighs 1.35 cts and is H color. I love it but it doesn't exhibit a high crown. I'm very surprised that so many of you enjoy old cuts. The modern brilliant cut was perfected to maximize the beauty of the diamond that was not possible with the older cuts. I was actually advised by a jeweler to have my stone recut, not that I would. Other than jewelers, do lay people think your stone is a diamond since it looks so different?

@Barlan OEC Moissy looks more like OEC diamond than RB Moissy looks like RB diamond, well, that is my understanding anyway.
Also, may I add that the beauty of old cuts v new cuts in diamond is a matter of opinion and taste really. If RB cut diamond is so much more beautiful than OEC diamond than why would GOG bother trying so hard to recreate all this old cuts in AVCs and ACCs?
And why indeed wouldn't you have your stone recut if you think that RB cut maximises the beauty of diamond - or is it not what you think? Sorry, I am a bit confused...Dizzy

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde