Amora Moissanite
[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 06:46 AM,
Amora Moissanite
Does anyone here own an Amora moissanite in an H color? If so, is it a larger stone like a 9 or 10mm? I am now on a wait list for one and would like to know if the H color is less warm than, for example, a FB. I have no idea what I will do with it when or if I get it. I just really want a whiter stone and I can't wait for the AG to be available here in 2015. Any comments on the Amora moissanite?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 11:11 AM,
RE: Amora Moissanite
I don't think the larger stones come in H, do they?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 12:26 PM,
I know that the 9mm comes in H but not sure about the 10mm. I can't believe no one here owns an H color Amora to give me an opinion.

[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 12:35 PM,
Most people have FBs I think.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 03:03 PM,
I have had three Amoraized Moissy, but smaller than what you're after, which may not help. I have found that the grading system is unfortunately not dependable in general, regardless of stone size. Moissanite is moody, the grading environment is controlled, etc.

I have / had:
7.5mm RB, graded H color (my primary stacking solitaire)
7.5mm cushion, graded I color (my bezel set with ruby sides)
7.5mm OEC, graded I color (sold before setting)

My I cushion is just as white as my H round brilliant, which is backward.

As a side note that's off topic but does feed into this concept of NAGL grading cards... the cert for my cushion says it is 7.03 x 7.03mm, when in fact it is 7.49 x 7.5mm. It's been put on five or six calibration devices and they all agreed.

The I OEC was by far the whitest of the three, no question. If my RB was truly an H, my OEC was then an F, which of course makes no sense in Moissy. But reversing that... if the OEC was an I, my RB would be a J, which it certainly is not.

What's that smell?? It's my brain melting. Dizzy

I think you just have to live with a stone for a bit and learn whether it makes your heart sing or not. Grading is a nice guideline, but in the end, it isn't always real world truth with Moissanite.

I don't know if it will help, but here are threads with comparison photos for the stones mentioned above...

OEC to RB comparison:
http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Amo...ith-photos

Cushion to RB comparison:
http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/...Post769030

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 03:05 PM,
I think @Homeschooling 4 Stars has a 9mm RB Amora enhanced Moissy that was graded an H..... maybe she can chime in and talk about her stone.. I do not believe I ever saw a H in an 10mm Amora Enhanced Moissy... I have always had the best luck with Forever Brilliants....

[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 04:01 PM,
I do have a 9mm amora enhanced moissanite. My original was lost, then I bought my sisters.....she got hers right before mine. It is graded an H. Very white. I do not see color in the stone (except for reflection). I do not really wear it because I prefer my oec, but it is a beautiful stone :-)

[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 05:55 PM,
Thank you all so much for the information. I will wait to see if I even get one since those waiting lists can take awhile. BTD sends grading certs with their stones so I can't imagine they would be so off, especially in the size of the stone. Color is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. It certainly is more subjective than size.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hadley's post:
  • stardust
02-22-2014, 06:05 PM,
(02-22-2014, 05:55 PM)Barlan Wrote: BTD sends grading certs with their stones so I can't imagine they would be so off, especially in the size of the stone.

That's what I would think, too. But whomp, there it is. The whole grading card certificate thingee has become something I don't put much stock in. The bottom line for me is, if I love it, life is good regardless of what the card says. That's enough for me. Wink

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-22-2014, 06:57 PM,
(02-22-2014, 06:05 PM)Hadley Wrote:
(02-22-2014, 05:55 PM)Barlan Wrote: BTD sends grading certs with their stones so I can't imagine they would be so off, especially in the size of the stone.

That's what I would think, too. But whomp, there it is. The whole grading card certificate thingee has become something I don't put much stock in. The bottom line for me is, if I love it, life is good regardless of what the card says. That's enough for me. Wink

NAGL is also probably not terribly consistent. At least that's what I have heard.