Amora: OEC vs RB (with photos)
[-] The following 2 users Like Hadley's post:
  • Anxiouslywaiting, moissypaws
12-06-2012, 02:22 AM,
Amora: OEC vs RB (with photos)
This little conversation happened a couple weeks ago in a different thread...

(11-23-2012, 06:34 PM)MrsK Wrote: When are you planning on an OEC?
(11-24-2012, 02:36 AM)Hadley Wrote: I am planning nothing. Angel I usually get one jewelry item every couple of years and now I just got two rings in two months!!! I need to simmer my bad self down a bit. But one day I'll just up and shock you. Maybe in a month or maybe in a much more reasonable year. I need a 7.5mm, an Amora-ized J color, a small culet, and a hot pre-owned discount. That's a tall order for the Universe to fill, huh? Time will tell.

The next thing I knew, I turned around and -BAM- there it was on the Bistro. 7.5mm, Amora-ized, small culet, hot discount. The Universe totally fulfilled my tall order. Seriously?! First I thought that I was being punked by MrsK. Then I thought I was going to wind up on one of Oprah's shows about the law of attraction and "The Secret."

In the end, I justified my little heart out. Don't you love when you do that? I'm buying it at a discount, I can always sell it for what I paid, it's a no risk proposition, I can always wait to set it, yaddah yaddah yaddah.

You know full well I bought it. Yes, I've been sitting on it without telling you. Don't hurt me! I needed to take photos and get them in order first, because I knew I'd be in for a beating if I didn't have any to share. Especially considering the bomb I'm about to drop on you.........

Sharp mind, soft belly.
Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Hadley's post:
  • Dancer, Olivejuice, stardust
12-06-2012, 02:48 AM,
RE: Amora: OEC vs RB (with photos)
I don't care for the OEC. Hide

I know it's blasphemy and heresy. But it's true. I'm the only one who prefers Moissy's round brilliant cut.

The OEC cut itself is gorgeous, and the stone is crisp and clear and also gorgeous. No question. The most pleasant surprise to me was the color. Man, is this thing white. The grading card says it's an I color rather than the usual J color in this size, but I've come to take those grading cards with a pretty big grain of salt. The OEC is moodier than the RB, yes. But it's almost always just as white or whiter than my RB. Yes, I said whiter and often. It shows how gray and steely my RB actually is. I really have to bust my butt to get it to show the famous OEC warmth and buttery look.

So that all sounds great, right? Why don't I like it? Ahhhh, it's because I'm a sparkle whore. The big chunks of light and color are beautiful, but there are so few of them compared to what the RB throws. It just doesn't have the life of the RB and doesn't dance with the disco ball effect as much. It's official... that RB "splintery" look that bums everyone else out is the very thing that rocks my world.

The other thing that doesn't do it for me is a weird brain thing. When the facets "hold" the chunky reflection instead of throwing them, it reminds me of a mystic topaz. I don't know how to explain this, so I'll refer you to the last photo in this string of photos. I've always thought that mystic topaz looks costumey and have never cared for it. So this is a negative connection for me personally. It's like how I can't stand that girl named Tiffany, and then I meet the sweetest ever Tiffany and I can't shake the icky Tiffany connotation. Do you know what I mean, or do I just sound like a nut job???

And now, here's a boatload of photos for all of you to drool over.

Outdoors, shade.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Outdoors, sun.

Indoors, incandescent.

Indoors, at a window with sun from behind.

Indoors, CFL table lamp and low pre-dusk sun at a nearby window.

Indoors, dead of night, CFL table lamp and laptop screen glow. Look, it finally shows warmth! But it actually didn't look this warm in real life.

Indoors, low light. (Don't ever expect this out of my point-n-shoot again; this was kind of a fluke.)

And here is what I mean when I say that the chunky reflections conjure up a mystic topaz in my mind.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 04:52 AM,
I think you don't like it because your stone holder is white, not yellow Angel

no, seriously, I know what you mean. If you like splintery disco ball sparkle then the OEC is not for you. They are both beautiful.

I love love OECs in pictures, but I haven;t seen a big one in person.

I am still trying to figure out if I love the OEC. I have two 5mm oecs which are gorgeous, but I haven't set them, for several reasons. 1. I don't have the cash to right now, 2. I can't figure out a design, 3. I am wondering if that's because I prefer the other kind of sparkle. 4. What I really want it is MC2 earrings, and I can't have them. 5. I feel sparkled out at the moment (I know, how absurd)

sorry for the threadjack!!

[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 05:05 AM,
Hadley, I orginally didn't get an oec because I was worried it would look flat with the big facets or that the color would be funky ( after Miladys experience). After seeing it in person I actually loved it. I do want to agree with you that my 8mm is so white sometimes I miss antique warmth other OECs have. I know I'm so crazy. I asked Beth for a white stone and she pics he most beautiful one that is like an H color and my crazy brain goes.... Hmmmm very white. My previous OEC was about an L color, they are both lovely in different ways. To be honest, it's better to have an H color as far as matching with melee.

I'm glad your ring is the one that makes you sooooo happy. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes BMV's post:
  • Anxiouslywaiting
12-06-2012, 05:13 AM,
Btw, Hadley, you have QUITE the collection going there missy!

[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 07:15 AM,
Hadley, thank you for your honesty! I'm soon to see my first ever OECs, and I'm nervously excited, because I wonder if I'm a sparkle rather than flash lover like you. (And I love your justification process which is sooo me.)

Lucky you can sell it and know there are many fans out there ready to relieve you.

[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 07:47 AM,
I cannot believe a 7.5mm Amora OEC popped up on the Bistro after I asked. The funny thing is that I wondered when it would happen, so you could buy one. It happened sooner than I thought it would. You are lucky! Hurh

I think the stone is beautiful. Personally, I prefer the OEC to the RB. I understand what you're saying about it, because I have similar feelings on the RB cut.

So what are you going to do with it? Sell it?

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 08:11 AM,
:
(12-06-2012, 05:13 AM)BMV Wrote: Btw, Hadley, you have QUITE the collection going there missy!
YeahthatShocked

Sold on Schubach :)
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 08:21 AM,
Well it's good you figured it out this way rather than buying an expensive one you can't re-sell! Your rings are all so purdy!

[-]
  •
12-06-2012, 12:50 PM,
Funny, I'm the opposite. The splintery cut and the glittery sparkle do not do it for me. haha. I love those big bold flashes of color and light.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want a solitaire, 3-stone or eternity, but I could be very interested in taking that stone off of your hands.... possibly.... This morning I was sure I wanted a Bella Flora MC2 replica, but then fast forward a few hours and I'm back on the big eternity train. just shoot me.