Antique vs modern cut diamonds
[-]
  •
03-31-2014, 08:15 PM,
Antique vs modern cut diamonds
This has to have been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find anything. I even youtube'd some of GOG's videos to see if I could find something! I'd love to know what you all think though.

So, sparkle factor, I know antique cuts show broader flashes or whites and rainbows vs modern cuts, but on the whole, which would you say is more sparkly? Modern rounds? Or antique cut? Or is it plainly, quality of cut vs quality of cut? (Probably.. and now I'm feeling like an idiot) Toofunny

(I'm trying to decide if I want an antique cut 5 stone band or a modern cut 5 stone, about 1.5ct) Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-31-2014, 08:52 PM,
RE: Antique vs modern cut diamonds
If the diamonds are ideally cut they will be more brilliant. Ideal cut H&A round brilliant diamonds will always be the sparkliest.

If you are looking at true antiques, there will likely be some wonky. What they lack in perfection and have in light leakage, they make up in charm. However, if you are comparing AVRs with H&A rounds I think the AVRs would stand their ground, but the sparkle will look different.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-31-2014, 09:07 PM,
Interesting, thanks @jenncent!

[-]
  •
04-01-2014, 03:28 PM,
If what is most important to you is sparkle...

then for sure Round Brilliants!

[-]
  •
04-01-2014, 09:17 PM,
I swear I am two sparkle dancers in one. Sometimes, I just want blinding sparkle. Other times, yes, still sparkle.. but whimsy and charm. Maybe I just need to have a collection rather than focusing on a 'forever' piece Big Grin

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • HS4S
04-01-2014, 09:34 PM,
I used to be a modern cut girl all the way. I wanted perfect cuts for optimal performance. But then, somewhere along the line, it changed. Now I want the romance of the old cuts. I love that old cuts are so one of a kind and I can imagine their story.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
[-]
  •
04-04-2014, 06:53 AM,
I think it depends on how you define "sparkle." And "ideal." And a whole slew of expectations ...

I started out loving old craftsmanship and having no idea about cut. It took me about three years to catch up and realize that, oh, yeah! it wasn't just the metalwork that appealed to me about antiques ... it was the total package, including faceting. I love the broad rainbow flashes of color that you get from the bigger facets of the older cuts. At this point, I doubt I'll ever get another modern stone ... at least if we're talking rounds. Vintage pears and marquise vs. modern, on the other hand ... that's still up for debate!

[-]
  •
04-04-2014, 02:58 PM,
The look is very different. Diamonds are like people - RBs are modern, edgy (with the pointed splintery facets), steely, predictable, precise, crisp. OEC's and OMC's are ethereal, organic, glowy, quirky and whimsical. I find that rarely does a person adore both - people are usually in one camp or the other, but you have to see good examples of both cuts in person before you know what's right for you.

I will say that, generally, people who like the newly cut reproduction stones (AV's, for example) also are lovers of other modern cuts too, while people who gravitate towards vintage tend to find the repros to be too mechanical and precise as compared to vintage stones. Something about the old stones' "imperfections" in cutting add to their appeal, and the absence of that just feels wrong.

Erica D.
Owner/Designer
Love Affair Diamonds