Anyone radically change/reset their engagement ring?
[-]
  •
09-25-2014, 04:48 PM,
Anyone radically change/reset their engagement ring?
I'm wondering if any of you have ever altered your engagement ring, and how you felt about the decision/if you regretted it.

My husband proposed with a beautiful plain shank sapphire halo. After having it a few months I realized I really love low profile rings and what I really wanted was a 5 stone ring (I wanted something like this originally, but sort of fell into the idea that I should have something that looked more like a traditional engagement ring). He got me a moissy 5 stone this Valentine's Day and I wear it every day, am extremely happy with it, and feel like it's just more "me". I pretty much never wear the engagement ring anymore. It's too tall for my tastes and needs to be resized. The plan is to resize it soon, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just resetting it into a pendant. I think I'd get more enjoyment out of wearing it that way, but don't know if I would regret this decision later. Anyone have any advice on this front?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-25-2014, 06:45 PM,
RE: Anyone radically change/reset their engagement ring?
The pendant reset sounds like a great idea!!

If you're not wearing the ring, it would be nice to be able to wear it another way.

[-]
  •
09-25-2014, 07:19 PM,
I did this, not with an engagement ring, but another ring my now husband gave me, I reset it from a ring in to a pendant and can enjoy it more often, and love that!

[-]
  •
09-25-2014, 07:25 PM,
I have not touched my original set yet... it just sits. I hate having all those diamonds just sitting there, but at the same time I can't bring myself to do it yet. So, I would just suggest be sure. Once you do it it can never be undone. That is what I struggle with when I think of resetting mine.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-25-2014, 09:51 PM,
I have four sets I wear as my wedding/ e-ring, but there is no way I would ever do anything to my originals. Despite their modesty, I love to wear them occasionally and I am very committed to keeping them as is.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 09:21 AM,
I reset my original e ring twice. No regrets. If you don't love it, set if so you do :-) I always say, I'm not changing the man for another, just the ring!!

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 09:24 AM,
I think the sentimentality will vary by person. Some people are attched to objects and memories, and some are not, so I think it really depends how attached you are to it in it's current state, despite not loving the esthetics.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 04:04 PM,
I changed my original setting because the style from the 90's is just not me any longer. But mostly because the side stone kept falling out of my original ring. The stones were precious to me so I had them all put in a band that I wear all the time.

[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • ArtdecoLover71
09-26-2014, 06:46 PM,
(09-26-2014, 09:21 AM)ArtdecoLover71 Wrote: I reset my original e ring twice. No regrets. If you don't love it, set if so you do :-) I always say, I'm not changing the man for another, just the ring!!

That is funny, I've said similar things to my DH about how much more expensive it would be if I traded him in versus just rings. Lol. Bigger headache, too. Big Grin

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:28 PM,
I haven't changed my current ering set, despite making noises about it for the last couple years. I had worked in a lab for five years and I never wore my ring because I was always afraid of the prongs poking holes in my glove, and I definitely did not want holes in my gloves!

Now I'm on a computer 90% of the time so I get to wear my ring more often, but even though I'm still not fond of prongs and the style of the ring, I love it for what it represents. My DH and I had talked about changing it, and once I begin working on my Masters degree I think I will make some drastic changes but keep as much of it as I can. I already talked to my jeweler and he said that they could recycle the gold. Smile

It might be a long time before I actually take the plunge because deep down, I am extremely sentimental!