Ashas Hazing - Gunk on stones, how to get it off???
[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 02:46 AM,
Ashas Hazing - Gunk on stones, how to get it off???
Hey Ladies,

I am having a bad evening lol. I have a 5 stone I wear everyday, it is my wedding ring. I also put volumising product in my hair everyday, and I think this is happening because it gets on the ring. The last few weeks my stones have been duller than usual, I looked at them under bright lights after cleaning and they still look hazy. It looks like 1000s of little clear dots on the bottom of the stones.

I soaked them in Vinegar for a while and after taking them out unfortunately if anything they looked worse.

Please does anyone have a DIY solution? I can't go to a jeweller because its night time here now and its a public holiday tomorrow but I would like to get this off Sad

I have never had this happen before, I know its not a bad stone because it is happening to all 5, I am pretty sure it is a build up or hair stuff.

I do wash my stones mutiple times a week usually with cleaner and a tooth brush but it doesn't seem to have been enough and I dont own an ultrasonic or a steamer. Is there any DIY solution?

Please help Cry Cry Cry Cry

Nat

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 02:52 AM,
RE: Ashas Hazing - Gunk on stones, how to get it off???
I have had success in the past with this.

http://www.food.com/recipe/jewelry-cleaner-180133

I don't know how good it is for rings, but it sure made mine shiny.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 06:18 AM,
I use dish soap and near boiling water (not on the stove-but heat it up and pour into a mason jar or something)

I take a pint size wide mouth mason jar and put a dab of liquid soap in it with the rings/earrings whatever I'm cleaning. Then I pour REALLY hot filtered water over it. It's best if you can get distilled, actually. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes and I rarely even need to brush them.

[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 06:30 AM,
A mix of vinegar and soap in very warm water worked for me. Will really hot water risk it cracking? CZ has heat issues right? I think that sometimes you can get to a point where a jeweler should clean it. I remember a lady on BTD trying everything, but there was so much junk on it that she took it to a jeweler....AAAAAAAAAAAAAnd it could also be hard water build up, so cleaning with tap water won't change anything. Sorry was this helpful at all? :S

[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 06:33 AM,
I never had any issues with it. I didn't put them on the stove in boiling water..that may have caused problems. lol. I didn't even bring the water to a boil. It was just before that and then I poured it in the jar.

and DEFINITELY on the water issue. That is why you'd want at least filtered but distilled would be best.

Vinegar can cause a build up, actually. You need to use very little and it needs to be fresh vinegar IME. I do use it, but found the soap + water to work so well I've stopped.

I agree though-a professional cleaning would be ideal.

[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 06:43 AM,
try 1 oz of rubbing alcohol to 1 oz of hot tap water and a drop of dish soap. Soak for several minutes then scrub. If that doesn't work, put 1/2 oz of windex the kind with amonia and small amount of hot tap water in a little cup and soak for several minutes and scrub with a toothbrush.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 07:36 AM,
I use a 1/2 of a denture cleaning tablet in about 3 to 4 oz of warm water. Works like a charm... And is super inexpensive and easy to storeSmile

[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 07:49 AM,
I'm intrigued - what is the ingredient in denture tablets that cleans? Could it be harmful at all?

[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 07:56 AM,
Okay I found this:

Cleaning Metal Jewelry

If your found treasures include gold or silver, lucky you. Just don't ruin these precious metals with aggressive cleaning.

You may have read that denture tablets dropped into a glass of water holding your jewelry really makes it sparkle. Don't be fooled.

While part true, what the proponents don't tell you is that denture cleaning tablets do their work with chemicals like hypocholorite or persulfate, which are highly corrosive to many metals.

http://www.theartfulcrafter.com/jewelry-two.html

[-]
  •
06-09-2013, 08:06 AM,
Here is more info - basically don't use on anything that isn't gold, plat. or hard precious stones. Def. NOT silver.

http://theboatgalley.com/cleaning-denture-tablets/