Baking CZ
[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 09:13 AM,
Baking CZ
I have read a few pieces of info on this here and there. Has anyone done it or know much about it? I assume it warms up a stone vs whites it?

I have a couple wink CZs I bought to see what they were all about. They are very beautiful, but a little too white for my taste and thought, if I can pop them in the oven for a bit and warm them up somewhat, maybe it's worth a try since they didn't break the bank exactly.

Please share your experiences or any links to how/what is done if you know of any. Not sure I will do it, but interested in knowing more. TIA!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 02:26 PM,
RE: Baking CZ
I have tried it following others' instructions. I did see a slight difference. No ill effects to stones or settings, and maybe a bit warmer and more sparkly.

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 02:36 PM,
(07-22-2014, 02:26 PM)Slick Wrote: I have tried it following others' instructions. I did see a slight difference. No ill effects to stones or settings, and maybe a bit warmer and more sparkly.

That is all I am really looking for ... a slight warming. These babies sparkle like crazy already so they don't really need help in that department. I would just prefer they not look quite so "steely"-white.

Would you mind sharing the method you used? I read that you obviously clean your jewelry really well beforehamd, then don't even touch them with your bare fingers, place in a glass baking dish not touching anything else .. and that's about it. I could not find consistent temps or times. Huh

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 02:51 PM,
Ok, this is what I remember I did...
Clean jewelry completely and don't touch stone after!!
Place jewelry on tin foil on top of an oven safe plate
Put jewelry in cool oven then heat to 400
Bake ~one hour (I did 1.5 hrs a couple times)
Leave jewelry in oven until completely cool
Repeat as necessary/desired

I read that if you do it again it will further warm it up. I did try it a couple times with a ring or two. No damage (I even baked sterling silver) and a bit more warmth and sparkle.
Good luck!

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 05:04 PM,
@Slick Thank you so much! That helps.

Do you know what impact or purpose the aluminum foil serves? Huh Also, based on your knowledge, it doesn't matter what type of metal (silver, gold or plat?)? I won't hold you responsible. LOL

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 06:15 PM,
Good question about the tin foil...I read it awhile back and used it, I looked for you but couldn't find where I read it. But here is a thread about it with directions from BTD's diamondangel.
Take before and after pics!! Good luck!

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 06:31 PM,
(07-22-2014, 06:15 PM)Slick Wrote: Good question about the tin foil...I read it awhile back and used it, I looked for you but couldn't find where I read it. But here is a thread about it with directions from BTD's diamondangel.

Did you by chance mean to include a link? I will be sure to take pics. Wink

[-]
  •
07-22-2014, 07:27 PM,
(07-22-2014, 06:31 PM)SparkleFactor Wrote:
(07-22-2014, 06:15 PM)Slick Wrote: Good question about the tin foil...I read it awhile back and used it, I looked for you but couldn't find where I read it. But here is a thread about it with directions from BTD's diamondangel.

Did you by chance mean to include a link? I will be sure to take pics. Wink

Haha Crackup Yes I did. Sorry...oops
http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/.../563280/25

[-] The following 1 user Likes SparkleFactor's post:
  • Slick
07-22-2014, 07:33 PM,
Bighug thx much @Slick

[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:24 AM,
Bump

So I am getting around to this today, but figured I would do all the pieces I had in mind in one batch (three total).

Question - can moissy be baked, or does anyone know if that has been attempted? I am thinking about baking my princess bezel moissy in hopes of getting a smidge more warmth and better depth appearance, but wanted to see if anyone knows of someone baking moissy. I didn't read anything about that in the BTD thread @Slick linked above.

And yes, "before" pics have been taken of the freshly cleaned rings, and I am super cleaning them again to ensure they are as clean as possible before they go in.