Best Cleaning Methods
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 11:01 AM,
Best Cleaning Methods
In the past I've just used warm water and Dawn or toothpaste (which may not be the best). I want to continue to take great care of my jewelry and want to know what you use/suggest/love for cleaning/polishing your beautiful jewelry to keep it clean and looking good. Here are the various stones and metals I have:

white gold
yellow gold
sterling silver
ruby (told they are natural mined but not sure)
garnet (told they are natural mined but not sure)
diamonds
CZ (both "clear" and colored)
colored moissanite

Also, do you have any suggestions of what NOT to use to avoid any kind of damage or color distortion.

Thanks for your advice!

I love all things that sparkle and shine :) Hi, I'm kristina84, and I have an obsession with cushions.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 11:10 AM,
RE: Best Cleaning Methods
I use this, MrsK does too. http://www.amazon.com/Caribbean-Banana-C...B001TQ41VI

I soak for 20 or 30 minutes and then scrub with the little brush it came from.

I have also used *distilled* water and vinegar in the past, and that work great! But it is not safe for all gems. But if you have hard water and wash your hands with your rings on, the diluted vinegar will break down the mineral deposits.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 02:18 PM,
for diamonds/platinum/white gold, I love my ultrasonic.

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 04:02 PM,
I'm a plain old dawn soap with very hot (almost boiling which I think kills Jenncent Wink ) and windex. I may have to try that crazy banana coconut stuff. It better not smell the way I think it's going to though.

[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 04:04 PM,
It does... lol. And if you have treated moissanite, PLEASE don't do that.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 05:50 PM,
Day to day cleaning, I use Dawn (Platinum, of course! Wink ) dish soap in warm water and a soft brush for nooks & crannies, and dry it with my hair dryer with concentrator attachment. When steam is needed, I use the handheld attachment on my steam mop and it does a great job.

I've read a lot of PSers use alcohol on their diamonds, and I was curious how it might work on lab stones also. I tried it on diamonds and Moissy with no issues, but didn't really find it do any better than the Dawn.

[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 06:07 PM,
I think a dip in alcohol, while it is still wet, will allow it to dry without and water spots. If you don't want to pull the blow drier out, that may be a good way.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 10:03 PM,
(12-05-2014, 04:04 PM)jenncent Wrote: It does... lol. And if you have treated moissanite, PLEASE don't do that.

Angel

[-]
  •
12-06-2014, 07:28 AM,
I like hot water, dawn dish soap with a baby toothbrush and a blow dryer. I do it daily. Hide

[-]
  •
12-06-2014, 11:57 AM,
(12-06-2014, 07:28 AM)Slick Wrote: I like hot water, dawn dish soap with a baby toothbrush and a blow dryer. I do it daily. Hide

LOL me too! (and I still stick it in the ultrasonic three times a week regardless)

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!