Betty Crocker I am not
[-]
  •
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM,
Betty Crocker I am not
So apparently my cookie baking skills do not translate well into jewelry baking. I baked 6 items tonight:

-a 7mm cz
-berricle 2mm shared prong eternity
-berricle 2mm bezel eternity
-cheapo three stone from Meijers (I think 4.5/7/4.5mm)
-sterling silver 3 stone
-ebay rhodium silver eternity

I put the jewelry in a glass dish in the oven, then turned it on to 350. Let it bake an hour and turned it off.

My sterling silver 3 stone that I just received this afternoon now looks like yellow gold!! It's okay because I just bought it to test out the stone sizes but still kinda of annoying.

The two berricle rings' metal looks slightly discolored too. The other items were fine.

Just a heads up in case you bake sterling silver know it might change color. Angry

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-13-2014, 10:47 PM,
RE: Betty Crocker I am not
Interesting, I didn't know you could do that! Popcorn

[-]
  •
02-13-2014, 10:53 PM,
Oh no! Sad I've had this happen before. It's just a chemical reaction, so don't fret because it's not permanent. Most jewelry cleaning cloths will help, and strangely enough what I've done in the past is put a little Bar Keeper's Friend (this stuff) on a toothbrush and scrubbed the metal gently until it's clean. Good luck!

[-]
  •
02-13-2014, 10:59 PM,
It is tarnish I think. Like LaLa said, it should polish off.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-14-2014, 05:17 AM,
My sterling does that when I bake it, too. It should just polish off. More importantly - how do your stones look?? I've always had pretty good luck with the baking on czs.

[-]
  •
02-14-2014, 10:26 AM,
That's good to hear it's just tarnishing. Whew! But I told myself I had to be willing to live with the outcome. I think the czs are more sparkly and have more depth. I'm glad I did it.