Bezel advice?
[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 08:30 AM,
Bezel advice?
I've been thinking that I want to protect the trannie in my HW-style ring. I love the setting as-is; it's so comfy! However, I don't love that there is no protection (as in, prongs) on the N-S sides of the stone, leaving it very exposed. I'm super careful with my rings but would like to further protect the diamond.

I've got some photos from ages ago... Here's a face-on shot with the big ole puppy-dog prongs which, IRL, are barely visible:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Here's a side profile:

What I'm considering (if possible and if it doesn't end up looking like an errant mini space ship took over the ring...) is having a *very* fine/narrow, PLT bezel around the diamond and having it attach to the existing prong "stubs" (or whatever they're called, LOL!). This would give protection and still allow lots of light to flood the ring. It's such a fiery stone and I don't want that aspect to change.

I also like uber-lowsettings and wonder if it would look okay to have it sit lower than it currently does. Or would that look too odd and space-ship-ish?! I'm sure I'm the only one who would notice anything... There's no point in asking The Beloved One, as he hasn't even noticed the pear and or sapphire additions to the household. Tongue

Here's a side profile for reference:

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 09:02 AM,
RE: Bezel advice?
This is an interesting idea!

I love the sound of the diamond in a bezel. I suspect, though, that this would be a start over job rather than a mod to your existing ring.

I'm keen to see how you progress. Smile

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM,
I have to say I love it as is. You can't just add a semi bezel between prongs, I don't think. But even *if* they could, I think that would look odd. So you could have it remade of course, but but then it would be a different ring...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 11:46 AM,
Thanks, @JuBe! @jenncent I also really love it as it is, but I sometimes get concerned that if I whack it just right, the diamond may be damaged. I accidentally knocked a lovely moissie ring (in a 4-prong solitaire) on a car door years ago, and ruined it... Confused

Maybe I should warm up PhotoShop and attempt an image of what I'm thinking, LOL! I'm thinking of the diamond being removed, the tips of the prongs being removed and a full bezel being attached/soldered (or however it might be accomplished) to the existing prong posts.

I was just curious whether it might look like a flying saucer. Toofunny

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 01:09 PM,
ohhhh, and cutting off the tips of the prongs. That would look better than what I thought you meant. I don't think that will look like a flying saucer. But I still think it needs a full new head.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 02:48 PM,
LOL! Thanks, @jenncent. I'll muse on it some more. I tend to be a bit pokey with making up my mind on doing things, so the fact that I even posted this is surprising to me. Crackup (I had the pear diamond for two+ years before doing anything with it!)

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 04:41 PM,
@CricketBug I had thought about doing something similar with the first ginger ring, for the same reasons, and doctored this to show what I was thinking. It's a similar style from this angle, so not sure if it might help you if it's kinda what you were thinking.

[-]
  •
09-08-2014, 07:40 PM,
@CricketBug Ahhh, you want to change your beautiful classic ring? I'll be no help whatsoever, but I will say that the bezel will hide the girdle and some of the pavilion of your gorgeous stone Undecided how about switching to a six prong or adding tab prongs at the N-S-E-W points instead?
I Heart your ring and even now I am doubting a bezel for myself, and you want to enjoy the entire beauty of a stone as delish as yours! Wink

[-]
  •
09-09-2014, 09:01 AM,
Thanks for the visual, @SparkleFactor! I stayed up way too late last night (took me for-EVAH!) and PhotoChopped a rather primitive bezel around my ring, LOL! Not that it's made anything any clearer in my mind.

@Slick, thanks for the suggestion to add prongs. A few years ago, I did ask about this and the jeweller I asked said it wasn't possible without rebuilding the whole ring, so I just let the idea go... That said, I'm thinking my current local jeweller and benches she works with may have a different viewpoint. Smile She uses the same people who do "outside" work for Tiffany's, Cartier, etc. So they may have different skill levels than the previous jeweller.

I'd contact either Schubachs, poppyseed or DK, but I'm not particularly keen on sending the ring back and forth through customs, to say nothing of the actual shipping process with either couriers or USPS... Dodgy

[-]
  •
09-09-2014, 12:42 PM,
how do you feel about the bezel? I think it will make make it seem larger!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers