Black Hole
[-]
  •
10-18-2013, 02:55 PM,
Black Hole
I spent a good portion of my day taking my ring into different lighting situations.....trying to create the "black hole". The only time I ever see anything like this is when I put my noggin right over it and block all of the light. It still doesn't create the "dead" look. Obviously I have had way too much time on my hands today......this is what happens when the kids have extra curricular activities, the house is clean and I have not been to the library ;-)

Is this something that has been corrected in recent cuts? Something that is only seen in rb cuts?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • HS4S
10-18-2013, 03:41 PM,
RE: Black Hole
it seems that it's something that has been corrected. The newest ones I have are the only ones that haven't done it. All my other ones did. Now, you had to look at them a certain way, and I think it's one of those "once you see it you can't unsee it" kind of things. But I've tried with this ring and I just don't see it.

I've also seen the black hole where others have not-so maybe it's a sensitivity thing? I don't know.

It makes sense that it's an issue of depth that could be fairly easily corrected. These moissies are definitely deeper than my others-even more than my earrings. Someone submitted that hypothesis so I compared. I think there's something to it.

[-] The following 1 user Likes moissypaws's post:
  • HS4S
10-18-2013, 07:05 PM,
I have a new rough also and I can't see the black hole, either Smile

[-]
  •
10-18-2013, 09:56 PM,
I have 2 older Round Brilliant cut Moissanites from like 4 years ago or so...maybe a bit older.....and neither one of those stones has that Black hole..:-)... I must have lucked out with those 2 stones and they are a very nice color as well...:-).........no green and no yellow......... a bit of warmth .......but its beautiful warmth...... not murky or pond water colored.. .......I do know what you are talking about....... I have seen pictures of them on various forums...

[-] The following 1 user Likes sparkletiger's post:
  • moissypaws
10-19-2013, 01:36 AM,
(10-18-2013, 03:41 PM)stardust Wrote: it seems that it's something that has been corrected. The newest ones I have are the only ones that haven't done it. All my other ones did. Now, you had to look at them a certain way, and I think it's one of those "once you see it you can't unsee it" kind of things. But I've tried with this ring and I just don't see it.

I've also seen the black hole where others have not-so maybe it's a sensitivity thing? I don't know.

It makes sense that it's an issue of depth that could be fairly easily corrected. These moissies are definitely deeper than my others-even more than my earrings. Someone submitted that hypothesis so I compared. I think there's something to it.

MikeC from MoissaniteCo posted in one of his replies on the Bee that black hole occurs when Moissanite is cut too shallow. All Moissanite has a cut that is less deep than that of a diamond to minimise tint and double refraction. So yeah, it makes perfect sense that with a whiter rough a deeper cut can be achieved without compromising the colour/ whiteness.
By the way, my FB is an older generation (enhanced by Serenity, so older rough) and I didn't notice anything until going on the forums. When I read lots of posts about it on the Bee, I started scrutinising my stone and yep! I noticed a very slightest and tiniest of dark spots seen only under a certain angle. I can't "unsee" it now and it is bothering me a bit. Searching for it makes me think I am going a bit crazy. Crazy
And another thing: in the ring I just got from Kenda (Moissy ruby ring)- the Moissy in the middle does NOT have that hole under any angles or in any light and it is whiter than my FB. That ring must be 3 or 4 years old. This makes me think that maybe the rough that was used immediately prior to this newest whitest rough, I.e. the rough in that sort of "two year window" had quite a bit more tint and a lot of Moissy in that particular period was cut more shallow to achieve whiter colour. I read numerous posts on the Bee that Moissy did NOT have that issue a few years back (but did have colour issues though!). That echoes what Laurielee is stating too. But what surprised me about that Moissy in Moissy ruby ring is that it has no hole and very white at the same time- major stroke of luck.
So to sum it all up, in the very beginning Moissy didn't have black hole issues, but colour issues were there. In an attempt to address the colour issues there was a period of shallow cutting which caused black hole issues. Now both appear to have been fixed with the arrival of this whitest rough yet.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
10-19-2013, 08:39 AM,
I never noticed it in any of mine, but I wasn't looking for it either. I think it is going to be less apparent in a smaller sized stone.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • sparkletiger
10-19-2013, 11:43 AM,
it is, Mrs. K. And that ruby ring has it. Wink BUT DON'T GO LOOKING FOR IT! Crackup

It's not as noticeable because it's a smaller stone, but I've taken pictures of it and caught it too.

Like I said though, it may well be a sensitivity issue as well. And lord knows, I'm a delicate flower. Angel

[-]
  •
10-19-2013, 11:51 AM,
(10-19-2013, 11:43 AM)stardust Wrote: it is, Mrs. K. And that ruby ring has it. Wink BUT DON'T GO LOOKING FOR IT! Crackup

It's not as noticeable because it's a smaller stone, but I've taken pictures of it and caught it too.

Like I said though, it may well be a sensitivity issue as well. And lord knows, I'm a delicate flower. Angel
It's the first thing I looked for when I got it and couldn't see it, but then I didn't have it that long before I gave it to the jewelrers to bezel. I am determined not to look for it though, I am so happy with that Moissy, I will let that thing go "unnoticeable". Popcorn

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde