Brick and Mortar Idiocy Thread ....
[-]
  •
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM,
Brick and Mortar Idiocy Thread ....
THAT'S IT, GIVE ME YOUR HORROR STORIES.

Don't get me wrong. I love and respect jewelers. My dad was in the industry. THAT SAID, once we get off 47th and into "normal" environs ... oy, vey.

I live in a fairly nice neighborhood. We have a few local jewelry stores. The one on my block employs a dimwit who couldn't tell a set stone from a loose stone when I brought a setting in ("But this doesn't need to be set, it's in there!" - er, lady, yeah, because I popped it in there to travel the whole 100 yards! see how the prongs don't bend over the crown?), who then covered her embarrassment by then trying to tell me that the prongs would probably be too short and need to be retipped.

They stuck up 5mm over the girdle. Yeah, no. And, just to add insult to injury, the setting job they did was so crappy that I would up filing and polishing them at home myself.

So having crossed *them* off my list, I figured I'd try the *other* semi-local shop: I just got a great retro ring with a lovely boulder of an early synthetic ruby, and it's perfect except for only fitting on my ring finger when I'd like to wear it on my middle finger. No big, right?

The clerk told me that since the stone was plastic, it would just melt under the heat, therefore they'd have to unset it, therefore it would cost me twice as much.

When I pointed out that a synthetic ruby wasn't plastic, and was, in fact, considerably sturdier than most mined gems, he said, and I quote ... "Whatever." Also, "Fine, you know everything ...."

Dude. I don't know *everything.* I just know more that you do about minerals, gemology, goldsmithing, current labor costs, and, oh, yeah, customer service.

Having vented, I feel better. Figured I might not be the only one with a need ... anybody else have a horror story to get off their chest?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MicheleZ's post:
  • stardust
08-14-2013, 08:38 PM,
RE: Brick and Mortar Idiocy Thread ....
That second person needs to be FIRED.

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-] The following 1 user Likes grapefruitlove's post:
  • RSS
08-14-2013, 08:47 PM,
I was helping my cousin with ring shopping a few weeks ago and she doesn't know much about diamonds. This trip was just to get an understanding of what she likes as well as some diamond knowledge under her belt so she can smartly peruse online. Anyway, we were going through the C's and the lady covered clarity and color and carat (not very well I might add, she said all the way down to SI2 was not visible to the eye). So I said- you forgot about cut. And she goes well cut is really about preference, you know princess, round, cushion, etc. And I was like, actually no that is shape. Cut is very important for how much sparkle your diamond has. Anyway, we agreed to disagree.

Then, without even knowing what my cousins preference were, she starts showing her rounds and cushions and talking about how they are much more feminine than a princess cut, which is kind of boxy and feels rough and manlier (I am literally standing there with a princess cut ring on my hand). Then she talks to her about how .6-.9 ct are also much more dainty and how if you have anything bigger than 1 ct you have no quality (my ring is not in that range).

She finally notices my ring and goes "WOW well you obviously went for size there didnt you!" She then turns to my cousin and goes "See, your cousin went for size and sacrificed on her setting. For you it sounds like its about quality and setting"

I honestly couldnt take it anymore. I am not one to hold back but my cousin who is pretty shy was furious too. She threw my quality stats in homegirls face and said there is something to be said about a classic plain setting. Homegirl goes "well I guess some girls really can have it all"- that is when we walked out.

[-]
  •
08-14-2013, 09:10 PM,
I should also note that my ring isn't tiny or huge. It's probably pretty normal for girls to look for that size and I wonder how many girls she is either offending or leading astray on a daily basis =/

[-]
  •
08-14-2013, 09:14 PM,
I have had mixed experiences at B&M stores. Some have been good, with complimentary staff and CS staff wearing huge diamonds eye candy. Some have been off putting with the staff telling me platinum would be 6x the amount of 14k... and that white gold did not have nickle in it because it was real gold, LOL. So yeah, I shop online.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website