Buying a loupe question
[-]
  •
07-08-2014, 12:47 PM,
Buying a loupe question
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this and so I apologize in advance not. I want to buy a jeweler's loupe but have no idea where to start. I don't need anything fancy at all. I just want to be able to check stones for scratches and such. I see a bunch on amazon but I have no idea what I should be looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-08-2014, 12:57 PM,
RE: Buying a loupe question
I have a cheapie 10x loupe that does the job for a lot of my stones! I wouldn't worry too much about spending a ton on one. I think at least a 10x loupe will be good or higher if you're that picky about inclusions.

[-]
  •
07-08-2014, 01:46 PM,
I just have a cheapie lil' 10x loupe I bought for a geology course some years back... I've since used it for taking a closer look at mosses, insects, and for spying inclusions in gem jewelry. Smile 10x is good enough for me, and I think that is the magnification most jewelers default to as well for basic inspections, but you can spend $7 on Amazon and get an illuminated 20x or higher loupes, so go for the higher magnification and extra features if your heart desires.

[-]
  •
07-08-2014, 05:40 PM,
I agree with the others, I have a 10x and it works perfectly fine in most situations. Mine looks like this and I think it was about $15

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-08-2014, 06:05 PM,
I bought this one and really like it because of the light. Very helpful & works great!

$5.25 & free shipping.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
07-09-2014, 10:02 PM,
Thanks SO much everyone!!! Off to amazon lol.