CAD's for DK ring are in - need expert help! Please!
[-] The following 2 users Like Slick's post:
  • moissypaws, Taeyers
01-15-2014, 07:38 PM,
Lightbulb  CAD's for DK ring are in - need expert help! Please!
Hi all! DK emailed me these cads for my 8.5mm OEC reset. The changes he wants to make on these designs are going a bit bigger on the side stones. The ones he has in these designs are 4mm by 2mm. He thinks a bit larger would be in better proportion to the center stone. I tend to agree. The prongs will be claw double claws so that will be done at the end. I did ask that the stones be set low as to prevent my clumsy self from banging it on everything.
Any suggestions ladies? I'm such a newbie...I need Help

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes idahosubaru's post:
  • always
01-15-2014, 07:46 PM,
RE: CAD's for DK ring are in - need expert help! Please!
Very pretty! I agree that the side stones should be a bit bigger. For me personally I would not want the small taper end to be narrower than the shoulders/shank. But if you are going bigger then proportionally it should end up being the same width or wider.

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 07:48 PM,
(01-15-2014, 07:46 PM)idahosubaru Wrote: Very pretty! I agree that the side stones should be a bit bigger. For me personally I would not want the small taper end to be narrower than the shoulders/shank. But if you are going bigger then proportionally it should end up being the same width or wider.

+1 Bigger sides! Otherwise I think it looks good (I am also somewhat clueless with CAD's though...)

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 07:49 PM,
Should I ask if he could make the donut underneath the center stone a little narrower to allow for a flusher fit with a band?I don't want to give up on the low height profile though. Maybe he could put the prongs at a sharper angle from a smaller donut? Huh

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 07:50 PM,
(01-15-2014, 07:46 PM)idahosubaru Wrote: Very pretty! I agree that the side stones should be a bit bigger. For me personally I would not want the small taper end to be narrower than the shoulders/shank. But if you are going bigger then proportionally it should end up being the same width or wider.
Oh thank you @idahosubaru I definitely see what you're seeing there! I missed that! Thanks. Anything else? Definitely bigger side stones!

[-] The following 1 user Likes idahosubaru's post:
  • Slick
01-15-2014, 08:00 PM,
Now that you mention it that it quite a donut! I would have him slope it more toward the center with a much smaller donut.

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 08:04 PM,
@Sandeek - Yummy, double claw prongs!! What size sidestones were in the original design? i think slightly bigger sidestones are a good idea too. Glad to hear you finally got the CADs today after all that waiting!

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 08:14 PM,
(01-15-2014, 08:00 PM)idahosubaru Wrote: Now that you mention it that it quite a donut! I would have him slope it more toward the center with a much smaller donut.
I just asked if he could narrow out that donut so as to sit more flush with bands. I hope it won't affect the integrity or aesthetics of the ring. Huh
I also agreed to bigger baguettes which should be nearly as wide (if not exactly as wide) as the shank where they meet! Thanks @idahosubaru for that tip!
Anything else?

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 08:16 PM,
(01-15-2014, 08:04 PM)Becleeham Wrote: @Sandeek - Yummy, double claw prongs!! What size sidestones were in the original design? i think slightly bigger sidestones are a good idea too. Glad to hear you finally got the CADs today after all that waiting!
Yes! My first claw prongs. I hope they are super smooth. He had originally mentioned .15 ct each baguette (which is 4mm by 2mm) or (.30 tcw) but that needs to go up! Lol Wink maybe to 5mm by 2.5mm each...
I am so glad to have heard from him today! So exciting to see the designs! I'm a custom jewelry virgin! Crackup

[-]
  •
01-15-2014, 08:28 PM,
yes, on the not flush like this. Wink

I also would not lower the side stones. That will look weird, imo. The top off them should be near the girdle of your center stone.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website