CZ Ring Owners: Differences in Loose vs Set CZ
[-]
  •
01-15-2016, 04:54 AM,
CZ Ring Owners: Differences in Loose vs Set CZ
I recently purchased several loose CZ all in the same size and cut.  Loose all of them look identical to me in every way.  I set one of them into a ring setting recently.

After the CZ was set into the ring, I noticed the appearance and  performance has changed a bit...and not for the positive.  The set stone looks whiter (not a plus for me in this case), and has less fire contrast, scintillation, contrast, depth.  It has also developed a slight haze that was not there before.

Since I have several of the same loose CZ, I can easily compare the set stone with a loose one.

Am I crazy?  Or does setting a CZ impact the performance and appearance greatly?  Has anyone else noticed this?

Why is this happening?  I assume there is less light going into the stone from the sides causing a difference in performance?

I cleaned the ring very thoroughly to ensure it isn't dirt, fingerprints etc causing the problem. 

Feeling slightly disappointed about this since I over spent on the ring setting hoping to make my "perfect" ring....only to have the stone change in performance on me. It is still beautiful....just not nearly as beautiful as before I set the CZ.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-15-2016, 08:49 AM,
RE: CZ Ring Owners: Differences in Loose vs Set CZ
Sorry it's not perfect. I have been there.

I am not sure why it has developed a haze. In the past, I have baked CZs.
The baking always helped the color and depth IMO. CZs are generally too white to my eye to begin with for larger stones.
Baking is not going to help with haze.

I have had CZs that I purchased already set that had great fire and sparkle. A setting can impact a stone in some ways. The metal color you choose can impact a stone. I find white gold helps make the stone appear whiter, whereas yellow and rose can make stones appear warmer. This is a general statement and not in all cases. A setting that covers the pavilion could potentially impact the way light passes through. I remember reading a similar discussion here. I think it involved a halo setting.
It shouldn't be so significant though, IMO, if the stone has an excellent cut. The light should pass through the top (table and crown) and reflect back off all of the facets. This is why the cut is so important.

I had a diamond that was a dud. When it was loose it sparkled. Once I set it, it had no life. It was not cut right. Rarely sparked. It wasn't the setting. It was the cut in my case.

Would love to see photos. I am sure the ring is pretty.

[-]
  •
01-15-2016, 10:38 AM,
I would say it is the metal reflecting. CZ cannot disperse and reflect light like a diamond. It lacks that depth factor. So if the metal reflects through it, it will limit it's performance.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-15-2016, 01:34 PM,
It still sparkles quite a lot, and with nothing to compare to, it is still beautiful.

But since I remember what it "used to" look like and have multiples of the same stone, by comparison, it's very different from the loose CZ.

Loose, it really does look almost exactly like a diamond, except for when you view it from the side & it has slightly less depth & crispness of a diamond. I'd say it's about 95% like a diamond. It's very lively is the best way to describe it.

Now in the setting, while still pretty, looks more CZ-like to me. And way less lively.

Jenncent: You are probably right, it's the metal reflecting through it. I notice close to the cutlet area (where most of the metal is around) & directly underneath (where there is also metal), the performance dead smack in the middle of the stone is affected the most.

Rae2828: The 18k white gold underneath does make the stone look much whiter. It almost looks a few shades whiter. It looked like it went from an H/I to about a F/G.

I think I will have to stop looking at the loose CZ & stop comparing it to the set stone. Over time, I'll forget what it "used to" look like.

Is it correct to assume that anytime I have a stone set, it'll hinder the performance? Or is this something specific to CZ stones? Does this apply to diamonds or moissanite equally? Obviously with more metal, the more it hinders the performance. But I'm just wondering if this is the case in general, or specific to CZ stones only. Or affects CZs the worst.

[-]
  •
01-15-2016, 05:01 PM,
I think you should try to enjoy it as it is, and just not remember what it used to look like, lol. Then, in the future, when you can upgrade to moissy or AG.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-24-2016, 05:41 PM,
I have had a CZ crack during setting and the result was exactly what you are describing, I think your stone has been damaged.

[-]
  •
01-24-2016, 11:25 PM,
NatalieStar: Thanks for your message. I will loupe it to see if there are any cracks.