Calling those with vision & creativity - help w/OMC ring pls
[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 09:12 AM,
Calling those with vision & creativity - help w/OMC ring pls
I would LOVE, welcome and appreciate as much input on some ideas I have for this project as you're willing to provide please. This is an opportunity for some serious creativity for those who have a flair for it and wouldn't mind weighing in. Me, ehhh, I am lacking in that department. I so love @Shelley 's DK ring, and would love to kinda mimic that style with this project and create an heirloom piece to be loved by myself and eventually my DD one day.

I bought this ring and knew it might be too much shiney metal for my taste, but I also knew it was something special when I first saw it, and that IF I felt like I couldn't handle the shiny metal, I could easily have the surface refinished. It is a bit of a blank canvas given the mounting's size and style, so I knew I would have options.

The center diamond is perfect for what I really wanted after waffling back & forth on a 1 ct white stone vs a 2 ct very warm stone. This was right in the middle, at 7mm/1.52ct, VS2, and the color was perfect for me at an M ... Not super white, just a hint of warmth (to my non-color sensitive eyes .. and looking at other Ms, I think it faces up even whiter in person). It literally SINGS to me in every light setting even though the videos don't capture it well ... Sun, fluoro, led, darkness ... You name it, it delivers a sensational chorus of chunky sparkles that blow me away! It is flanked by two small baguettes that add a smidge little extra sparkle, but all that shiny gold - pretty as it is - kinda overshadows them. It is solid 14kWG, so it has some heft to it which I love. This ring overall delivers a bold look with a beautiful center diamond that I just could not pass up.

Pictures:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I was wearing a bright blue shirt so it reflected that color in this picture a bit

Video of it in dark lighting:

And in normal indoors with taupe walls all around

Outside in the sun:

Outside in indirect lighting:

I played with ideas, and thought I could just refinish the metal surface, or add some of my loose stones to it as well. I am open to all ideas, suggestions and inspiration you might share. Below are the ideas I came up with if I decide to add stones to the mount:

The marquise diamonds can be either the teals or whites (pics further down), but I think the teals would be a nice subtle color accent, as they are small ... .20 each tops. The white ones are a little bigger at .25-.30 each. I could also get ruby marquise stones since that is mine & DD's birthstone and would be pretty.

First up, ideas for possible stone additions/layouts:

Next up, profile views:

From the side:

And a general idea from the top down of just the family of four added:

I have the small OEC/OMC diamonds and a few other small, loose marquise diamonds (irradiated teal blue matched pair and some white ones).

So after all that ... What say you?

1) Keep it as is and just refinish the surface to tame down the gold shininess.
2) Be creative & add the family of four .25-.32 ct OMC/OEC or other options to this ring for ultimate sparkles, and maybe do engraving, milgrain, etc.

I am not married to any particular idea on this ring project yet and am not sold on the above layouts of stones; just trying to decide on a direction first, and share what I was thinking to get some feedback first, them maybe go from there on details. Also, I am in no rush, as I can wear the ring as is and enjoy it in the mean time while deciding what if anything to do. But I do know that at a minimum, the surface would need to be not shiny if I were to keep it otherwise as-is.

Thanks much in advance for any & all input! I am excited to know what you ladies think about this as you all have fabulous taste, ideas and experience in this regard, so I can think of no better audience from which to seek feedback. Sparkles

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 09:33 AM,
RE: Calling those with vision & creativity - help w/OMC ring pls
I love the ring as is! I would love the ring with a different finish to the metal! Would also love the ring w/ additional stones (not sure about what specific configuration, though.) I'm no help ATM, sorry. Big Grin

[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 09:37 AM,
Gorgeous gorgeous, congrats!! It looks perfect on you!!

If it were me, I would probably put the little round stones down the sides, not on the front back, and then do four marquise like petals around the center stone and maybe the bags vertical under the stone, and then - since you like Shelley's ring - engrave the whole thing!

[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 10:25 AM,
Thanks much Ladies! I like the idea of possibly doing marquise stones around the center like a flower, but there isn't room really for the OMCs to go down the sides of the shank (at least where they would be visible). They would actually just fit around the center given their size, but that's about it. In person, the ring itself isn't quite as big as it looks in terms of metal. It's actually very well balanced with the center stone, which looks a lot bigger in person than pics or video show.

[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 11:09 AM,
I love version #2, with the clear/white marquise stones. And yes, to my eye, having matte-ish metal would let the diamonds be the center of the show, rather than the metal/ring. Smile What sort of carving are you leaning toward?

[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 11:19 AM,
I'm not that creative I'm afraid, but I would save the OEC's for a project all their own and I would engrave this baby up! Cover it in delicious engraving a la @Shelley

[-]
  •
07-27-2014, 06:32 PM,
Honestly, I can't imagine doing much else with these OMC/OECs. I have a couple other 3-stone OEC moissy rings planned that I have the stones for, and I have an OMC 4-stone platinum band with 4mm stones. About the only other thing I can really see doing with these unset stones is making a 5 stone ring, but I don't see the point since have the 4-stone. And I will have Ginger back reset before long.

I think I really kinda like the idea of making this one ring a bit of a diamond blingfest for special occasions, or my "one to rule them all" (at least, for my collection). If I add these stones (just the OMC/OECs), this ring will be just shy of 3cts of sparkling, old cut blingasm. Drool

I could be fine just adding the OECs/OMCs and not any marquise stones if those seem like they'd be too much.

Grace has this ring that gave me the inspiration to add the two teal diamonds. And I love how the center is set up a bit. This one is saved in my inspiration folder.

[-]
  •
07-28-2014, 06:19 PM,
inspiration for you! Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
07-28-2014, 06:47 PM,
@Turks Drool that is gagagagagorgeous! Thank you!

[-]
  •
07-28-2014, 07:02 PM,
Both of those inspiration pieces are gawwwwwjusss! There is something really wonderful about a very substantial yet antique inspired setting. Such a nice balance.