Can anyone help date a possible antique/vintage ring?
[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 02:36 PM,
Can anyone help date a possible antique/vintage ring?
Hi everyone, this is my first time visiting this forum, I'm very excited to pour over these threads Smile.

So, I just got this ring from eBay, I bought it from a pawn shop and the seller had pretty much no info on the ring, I got it for a great price and am super happy with it. I think it's beautiful! Anyway, I decided to google the marking, so see if I could get any info on it just for curiositys sake, and found that the marking is from J.R. Wood and sons, a company that was founded in 1850, and is still technically around today, they changed their name to Artcarved in 1975. So, my guess is that in the 70's the began to stamp their pieces artcarved instead of with the sideways W.

I wasn't really able to find much on my ring exactly, so if anyone has info or ressources that would be appreciated!
I am just curious, I know an appraisal would be a good way to find out more, but that's not really something I want to do (pay for) ATM.
Here is the ring in question,

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Here is the marking

This is a catalog from J.R Wood and Sons from the 1920's, I think the second ring in the top row looks like my ring?

Thanks so much for reading, and thanks for any info!!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • stardust
09-29-2013, 02:47 PM,
RE: Can anyone help date a possible antique/vintage ring?
Welcome!! I just love how this looks on you!! Can you tell us about the diamond? Does it look like a modern cut or an OEC? or transitional maybe? That will help date it, if the stone is original to the setting that is.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 02:58 PM,
(09-29-2013, 02:47 PM)jenncent Wrote: Welcome!! I just love how this looks on you!! Can you tell us about the diamond? Does it look like a modern cut or an OEC? or transitional maybe? That will help date it, if the stone is original to the setting that is.

Thanks, and Hi!

I don't know much about the diamond, I don't think it looks like a modern RB, but I have very little experience identifying cuts, esp ones this size. I don't think it's an OEC, transitional is a possibility though.

[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 03:13 PM,
Can you get a close up of the stone? If it does not look like a modern cut or an OEC, it could be a tranny, and that is what 1920-1950s?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • mrsmay07
09-29-2013, 03:31 PM,
yeah, the diamond is your best bet I think. You're right, that Wood became Artcarved. Wood (IME) was a very different quality as well. I've had a few Wood bands and man...they were weighty.

I've only had 2 artcarved but I was not impressed with either.

Long story short, that's a great ring and it looks fantastic on you! I can't wait to get more pieces of this mystery....

[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 05:38 PM,
I tried to get close ups of it, I only have my cell camera so the're not too great.

Here are some of the better ones

[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 06:08 PM,
I do think it is an OEC with a super small culet, or a transitional.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 06:11 PM,
(09-29-2013, 06:08 PM)jenncent Wrote: I do think it is an OEC with a super small culet, or a transitional.

Thanks for your input! That's funny, I was just researching OECs a bit and found that an OEC can have a small cutlet, I'd ruled it out because it does not have a larger cutlet like my OEC czs.
*blush*

[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 07:10 PM,
Perhaps Artcarved purchased Wood in 1975. I have Artcarved rings from the 1920's so they've been around long before 1975.

[-]
  •
09-29-2013, 07:10 PM,
hehehe, as OECs get closer in time to transitionals, the culets get smaller. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers