Can you tell me what this stone is?
[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 05:15 PM,
Can you tell me what this stone is?
My DH bought me this ring ages ago and the nice gentleman who made it told us what it was but I cannot remember. I know the sides are white topaz. I googled and ametrines are not shown in this color. The green is at the top and bottom and the center is pretty white but may have a VERY slight tinge of yellow but that also can be coming from the YG. I may want to sell it too but would like to know what it is. I don't wear it and it is very pretty.

Thanks!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 05:34 PM,
RE: Can you tell me what this stone is?
It's probably tourmaline, possibly dyed quartz

[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 01:28 AM,
My first thought was a rather unsaturated grossular garnet, but it has a little too much bluish color?

I get distracted by shiny things
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hadley's post:
  • MicheleZ
02-03-2013, 01:52 AM,
That's a two-tone stone. I know you're overwhelmed by my knowledge and expertise, but really, it's ok, you're welcome. Rofl

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 06:33 AM,
It's really hard to tell from photos, but that looks like quartz or glass to me. But I could be totally wrong. Where did you keep it, the stone looks abraded unfortunately Sad

[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 09:02 AM,
Thank you everyone. Especially Hadley as your knowledge continues to astound me.

Toofunny

It has been in a jewelry box for probably 10 years. BMV I just checked it with my loupe and it is not abraded but pretty dirty. Smile The table is very nice still. It may very well be a quartz. The jeweler who made it collected stones of all kinds and did tell us what it was but it is not glass.

[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 09:55 AM,
The thing is, there aren't many types of stones that are bi-color. So I'm pretty sure you are limited. But it's a very pretty ring, and if you are selling it you can just sell it as pretty and not as a specific type of stone!! I love the look of the bi-color with the continuity of the white

[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 10:31 AM,
That was my second guess, glad its dirty! Hehe

Was it always bi color? Maybe if it wasn't the coating has somewhat faded? I don't know much about coatings so no idea if that's possible.

[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM,
It is not coated and it was bought this way as a bi-color natural stone. It looks exactly as it did when I bought it. Just wish I could remember what it is. Maybe I can find someone local to take a look at it.

[-]
  •
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM,
Yea I think that's your best bet, guessing from pics is really hard! It's very pretty, are you thinking of doing something with it?