Changing out the center stone on a class ring?
[-]
  •
09-27-2013, 02:17 PM,
Changing out the center stone on a class ring?
I'm going down to the bookstore today to talk to them about getting a class ring. What I really would like is a moissanite center, which they don't offer. So, I'm wondering, how difficult do you think it would be to change the stone out? It will be in 18k yellow gold.

[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-27-2013, 02:26 PM,
RE: Changing out the center stone on a class ring?
what is the black material? onyx?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-27-2013, 02:28 PM,
No some kind of antiquing on it. I might not get it, or may go an entirely different route depending on how they look IRL. I want some kind of class ring as this has been a major achievement for me and a long time coming.

[-]
  •
09-27-2013, 02:31 PM,
and they won't set a stone you provide?

I think it can be done, but would require a skilled goldsmith.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 06:30 AM,
It looks like a bezel setting I'm sure it can be done but the original stone will be destroyed in the process . And that is as long as you can get a stone that is the same exact proportions as the one in there now .

[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 10:38 AM,
Well I went to see the rings yesterday in person and talk to the rep. She was as informative as a box of rocks and the rings with the stones are ugly Cry My dad had offered to buy me a class ring but I'm honestly thinking of passing after seeing them. So overpriced and lack class (no pun intended Tongue )

[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 10:43 AM,
you could design your own! Similar, but better.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 11:05 AM,
(09-28-2013, 10:38 AM)Sparkly Blonde Wrote: Well I went to see the rings yesterday in person and talk to the rep. She was as informative as a box of rocks and the rings with the stones are ugly Cry My dad had offered to buy me a class ring but I'm honestly thinking of passing after seeing them. So overpriced and lack class (no pun intended Tongue )

First of all, congratulations on your wonderful achievement, Sparkly Blonde! You definitely deserve something Sparkly. Smile I think Jenn's suggestion is a great one. Personally, I have always found class rings to be really clunky and tacky looking, with few exceptions. I picture them worn by an overweight man with too much cologne and greased back, thinning hair, lol.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparkly Blonde's post:
  • RedRocks
09-28-2013, 11:20 AM,
(09-28-2013, 11:05 AM)EarthDiva Wrote:
(09-28-2013, 10:38 AM)Sparkly Blonde Wrote: Well I went to see the rings yesterday in person and talk to the rep. She was as informative as a box of rocks and the rings with the stones are ugly Cry My dad had offered to buy me a class ring but I'm honestly thinking of passing after seeing them. So overpriced and lack class (no pun intended Tongue )

First of all, congratulations on your wonderful achievement, Sparkly Blonde! You definitely deserve something Sparkly. Smile I think Jenn's suggestion is a great one. Personally, I have always found class rings to be really clunky and tacky looking, with few exceptions. I picture them worn by an overweight man with too much cologne and greased back, thinning hair, lol.

ROFL! I think I will go with Jen's idea and I have some time. There are a handful of scholarships that are only awarded for a full year, not a half year, so I'm thinking of staying in school a bit longer to be able to keep these as well as add on a minor Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes RedRocks's post:
  • Sparkly Blonde
09-28-2013, 11:49 AM,
Great idea Jenn. A pretty ring with a halo of metal that could be engraved would be awesome for a class ring. ~Red