Chatham, interesting...
[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM,
Chatham, interesting...
So I was talking to one of my contacts in the industry and learned an interesting factoid today. Chatham evidently does not grown any of the own stones. The father of the current owner evidently used to grow stones, as did his brother, but now that they are no longer involved in the business, and the owner gets all his stuff from overseas (I think she said China?)

Has anyone else heard this? I don't really like their stones (especially their sapphires) so I was not particularly surprised, but also saddened to hear, because I thought they were an american owned and operated company that included growing.

This also makes me wonder...did BTD actually grow their colored stones?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 05:03 PM,
RE: Chatham, interesting...
I've been really into getting an emerald lately, but I don't like their emeralds either ....

[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM,
I'm pretty sure BTD does. Or did. I guess they're kind of shelving that. Cry

I have a ring with what may or may not be chatham rubies from many years ago and they are STUNNING. I wish I knew for sure if they are, and if they're still made the same way because they're out of this world!

[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 05:43 PM,
(03-19-2013, 05:25 PM)stardust Wrote: I'm pretty sure BTD does. Or did. I guess they're kind of shelving that. Cry

What?

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM,
The growing of gems. Didn't Less say that really wasn't their focus anymore? Did I misunderstand?

[-]
  •
(trying hard not to piss you off!)

[-]
  •
Shelving the emeralds at least. Wink I think they just want to offer H&A rubies and kashmir sapphire though.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM,
(03-19-2013, 05:45 PM)jenncent Wrote: Shelving the emeralds at least. Wink I think they just want to offer H&A rubies and kashmir sapphire though.

Oh, really? I thought he said he was done done for now. Eeenteresting.

[-] The following 1 user Likes idahosubaru's post:
  • MicheleZ
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM,
I have two rings with Chatham alexandrites. My DH bought them for me about 12-15 years ago. They are nice. One is a trillion and the other is an emerald cut in a u shape head.

[-]
  •
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM,
stardust, I don't know actually, lol. I thought that before too, but they they announced the H&As, so I thought it would be a lot of R&D for just one run...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website