Claw prongs for practicality?
[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 06:48 AM,
Claw prongs for practicality?
Hi ladies,

So I know that many of you have ring settings with either single or double claw prongs and I'm assuming that because these are so popular that they are great for rings worn everyday? I'm just asking because my original engagement ring has a round diamond centre with 6 prongs that are the most scratchy prongs in the history of mankind.
I am forever scratching my DD when I wear the stupid ring and she yells at me "NAUGHTY ring!". The prongs are really sharp and sit straight up so they are a menace.
I am considering a tulip prong setting for a solitaire ring which is pretty and is low set but I also love the look of double claw pointy prongs. Please re-assure me that a ring with double claw prongs is going to be practical for me to wear without scratching my DDs.
Apart from scratching - do they get caught on things like clothes and hair?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes poppyseed's post:
  • diamonds247
03-16-2014, 07:31 AM,
RE: Claw prongs for practicality?
Unfortunately they do have a tendency to get caught on things. They really should not scratch others easily if done well. There are different opinions on this, but I am of the mind that expensive rings should not be worn while providing care to small children, house work, cleaning, gardening, dishes, cooking etc. Aside from your questions above, it is just not good for the longevity of your ring and or stone.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 07:38 AM,
Thanks for your comments Poppyseed - you have given me something to think about. I don't wear rings when I'm doing housework (dishes, cooking, gardening etc) but I would like to wear them when I'm around my kids (which is practically all the time right now). Obviously if we are doing a kids activity like painting then the ring would have to come off but for something like giving a cuddle, I don't want to scratch my kids just because I'm wearing my rings

[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 07:56 AM,
In your case then since you already take them off for chores, just making sure the prongs are not too sharp or sticking up should work for you Smile so as not to scratch your babies.

[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 08:34 AM,
I agree with everything Poppy said. If they are done well, they shouldn't catch on everything. With all of my rings with claws prongs, I have ripped out a few hairs from my head. Confused I figure it happens easily to me, because I have scraggly type hair. Crackup

I have had the same issues with my scratching kids whether the prongs were clawed or not. I usually just take my rings off when I get home, but it's kind of hard to avoid that when you're out of the house with the kids. It doesn't happen often though.

[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 08:59 AM,
(03-16-2014, 08:34 AM)MrsK Wrote: I agree with everything Poppy said. If they are done well, they shouldn't catch on everything. With all of my rings with claws prongs, I have ripped out a few hairs from my head. Confused I figure it happens easily to me, because I have scraggly type hair. Crackup

Funny you mention this because my BP cushion catches hair pretty much all the time so I have to remember not to touch my head when wearing it. I think it all comes down to the prongs and how well they are done. Mine does not scratch anyone.

[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 09:31 AM,
@Becleeham - I did not have an issue with scratching my kids w/ claw prongs at all but I have found that they constantly snag fabrics and it annoys me to no end. I will not be doing sharp claws on the prongs of my next ring for that reason. If I'm cooking something where I get my hands very dirty or do heavy scrubbing w/ dishes the rings come off but otherwise I leave them on and don't like to worry about them too much during the day. Except to admire how pretty they are!

[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 09:32 AM,
Mine catch lint mostly, but are not scratchy at all. Your current scratchy ones should be able to be fixed to not do that.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
03-16-2014, 09:44 AM,
@idahosubaru Yes! I have found myself trying to remember not to touch my hair when wearing a ring that I know pulls out my hair. I think some were worse than others.

[-]
  •
03-16-2014, 10:32 AM,
(03-16-2014, 09:32 AM)jenncent Wrote: Mine catch lint mostly, but are not scratchy at all. Your current scratchy ones should be able to be fixed to not do that.

I have clawed prongs on my three stone and they've never caught on anything. The ring was made by Amcor and I'm very impressed with how well the prongs are done. It makes for a very comfortable ring.

I also have thin, scraggly hair....but I don't wear it down. If I did I might have that issue also. And that would make me hulksmash mad. Angry