Colors of jewelry metal
[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM,
Colors of jewelry metal
Is there some kind of comparison chart that shows the difference between the colors of metals next to each other? I want to see what platinum looks like compared to 18k and 14k. Thank you.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:26 PM,
RE: Colors of jewelry metal
I just have this one...

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:28 PM,
MoCo posted one on BTD recently. I would disregard the white golds in this though, because they are both rhodium plated.

I know I have a pic from Pricescope somewhere. Let me go dig.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:30 PM,
Here you go!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:37 PM,
Another one from Pricescope.

Yssie said this:

A - plat (950/ru)
B - unplated 18k nickel wg from e-wb, custom piece (different manufacturer, matches my WF custom Ering metal perfectly)
C - unplated 18k nickel wg from e-wb, stock piece
D - plated 18k wg from WF
E - 22k

A, B, C from above
G - unplated 18k palladium wg from DBL, custom piece

[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:42 PM,
Oh thank you! I knew you would know where to find it! Platinum stays the same color forever right? Whereas white gold, even 18k, will yellow over time?

[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:46 PM,
White gold will only yellow when the rhodium plating wears off. It will look "whellow". Which means, it'll still be white, but warmer in color. My barely pink OEC is in unplated white gold. It looks white to me, but if I put it next to my palladium ring, you can see the difference. The palladium is naturally white. Palladium and platinum will patina over time. That means they get a bit dull and more gray in color. I believe repolishing can fix that. I have read somewhere that palladium takes longer than platinum to patina. I'm not sure where I saw it or if it's even true.

How quickly rhodium plating wears off depends on your body chemistry. I've had white gold jewelry with plating that's never worn off. Some people need replating every year. There is that palladium white gold which never needs plating. That's kind of like the best of both worlds.

[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:47 PM,
platinum will get more grey with a patina. But if you use a polishing cloth on regularly, it helps a lot. Any patina can be polished though.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:55 PM,
I like this chart. Obviously, these specifications are for the metals sold by this company, but I think most use the same or very similar formulas. You can see the difference in hardness for each type of metal.

http://www.hooverandstrong.com/category/...fications/

[-]
  •
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM,
So which do you all prefer for a mixed color metal jewelry piece? I don't want rhodium plating as it is so shiny white and seems like replating would be harder in a mixed color piece.