Comparison of 2 Amora Gem Ultras
[-] The following 2 users Like Brit's post:
  • Bluespawkles, SarahY
01-17-2015, 09:01 AM,
Comparison of 2 Amora Gem Ultras
I didn't want the other thread to keep veering off the subject I really should have started another thread about my stones and choices, so here it is.

You can skip this if you know my saga. But if you don't here is a recap:
I have now had 5 AG's now. The first two I got back in April 2014, a 7.4mm G-VS1 and a 6.7mm F-IF. I decided to set the 7.4mm into my Regal setting, and sold the 6.7mm. After wearing the 7.4mm for about 5 months I really felt that it was a little too big for my comfort level. Kicked myself for selling the smaller stone, but found a used Vatche for a steal that had had a 6.9mm stone in it before. So I started hunting for a 6.9mm AG. A 6.9mm H-VS1 AG came up and I snagged it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this stone. Super brilliant and a super disco ball of sparkles. But when I took the stone and Vatche into my local jeweler to set it, they proceeded to mangle the Vatche. I then sent it to Wink, who sent it back to Vatche to have it new head put on and the shank fixed and they did a beautiful job!! But in the end the shape of the new head and height of the new head just isn't what I wanted. In an effort to have me leave the 6.9mm AG in the Vatche, Wink and I discussed another AG that he had in stock, a 7.2mm F-VVS1 and about it fitting well into my Regal setting and being a bit smaller, so I would be more comfortable. So I sold the 7.4mm G-VS1 and had Wink put the 7.2mm F-VVS1 into my original Regal setting. It was after it was set and when I was checking the prongs is when I noticed that it did not have the patented micro-faceted girdle AG had been marketed as having. It had a faceted girdle just not THE micro-faceted one. It also had two strange chunks out of the girdle that were unpolished, which I have since been told are actually "naturals." (If you haven't read about the micro-facetd girdle being discontinued you can do it HERE and HERE) This stones performance is exceptional but now that I have seen the girdle I can un-see it, and goes to that mind-clean thing we discuss all the time. The set of this stone into my Regal isn't perfect either, but being a reset it isn't going to be perfect, but someone who isn't hype critical like me wouldn't notice. But it is a super nice stone, and the lovey ladies here helped me with some perspective on that too. But me being me, I cannot leave well enough alone. Enter in the 5th AG into my world. Wink did have one other stone that could work in my Regal that also does not have a micro-faceted girdle, just a plain faceted one, but does not have any "naturals" ither. A 7.1mm E-IF.

This is a comparison of the 7.2mm F-VVS1 and the 7.1mm E-IF. Of course the F is set into the ring and the E is in a stone holder. I put the E down between my fingers so the stones would be at the same height.

This is of the stones in different lighting:

Closer up but with just spotlighting and intense spotlighting:

Both videos are available in HD so remember to switch the settings.

I am going to let y'all tell me what you think.

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes LaurieLee's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-17-2015, 10:34 AM,
RE: Comparison of 2 Amora Gem Ultras
Both look beaufiful!.. How is the girdle on the New stone ?.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-17-2015, 11:02 AM,
I think they're both beautiful. What do you think?

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • Bluespawkles
01-17-2015, 11:56 AM,
they're both incredibly beautiful. Like you'd be lucky to have either. I *think* I like the smaller one better, but truly as the video went on I liked different things about each.

If I were shopping for me I think I'd go with the unset one. But given that the other one is already set and the unset wins by a tiny, tiny margin, I'd be more inclined to keep that.

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 01:14 PM,
Here are the differences I see:
Set one has bigger flashes, unset has lots of little fire specks and splinters. Unset one reminds me more of mine with those little tiny sparkles, but the set one looks more diamond-like and crisp to me. Set one has more defined arrows. Unset one is slightly more prone to the glowy white-out effect that AGs have. Also seems less contrasty in the same lighting. Unset one gives more frequent and more amount of flashes and fire, the set one gives nicely spaced large flashes, looks more transitional to me.
Both are beautiful in their own ways, and it sounds like with the stone being not mind clean, and the mounting not being perfect, you might be open to a reset. Do you think you could get that last one from Wink, see it, and then maybe see if BTD would sell you another head to put on the Regal with the stone you decide to go with?
Edited to add: one other difference I see is that the set one seems to have more flash through the middle.

[-] The following 2 users Like Venustar7's post:
  • Bluespawkles, stardust
01-17-2015, 01:48 PM,
I think the set one catches my eye just a little more than the unset one. I agree that the center of the set one seems a bit livelier.

I think they are both beautiful though! If when I was looking, my stone performed like these I would have an AG in my ring right now.

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 03:19 PM,
Watched both videos a couple times, and both stones are gorgeous.

I like the one set in your ring currently a little bit more though.

However, if you can't "unsee" the naturals, I'd swap in a heartbeat for peace of mind.

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 03:28 PM,
Wow. That's a Hard one for me. Either my eyes are old or the resolution on my monitor is eh, but I like the one you have set already...I think. Both are gorgeous!
Can we see still shots?

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 03:30 PM,
Going to be honest and say I see very little difference in performance. (I did look in HD)

I would go with the new stone if it has no girdle issues. Smile

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 03:51 PM,
That is tough. In the first video, I prefered the unset one, but in the second video, the set one won for me, hands down...

Do you feel that the video represents them well?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website