Confused about my next project!
[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 05:42 PM,
Confused about my next project!
The time is finally about to come for me to set the 9.5mm OEC moissy I've been holding onto since April(?) of last year. I finally sold my Asha OEC diamond ring that I listed nearly a year ago, and that money combined with tax money and some of my commission from Christmas will be going towards the setting for this stone. But I'm confused.

I've been in love with the jbG/LAD Julia setting for a long time, both the pronged and the bezeled version. I was leaning toward the bezel, but now I'm thinking the pronged version because I think I would end up just selling my current 9mm pronged solitaire. I really don't need two OECs. Unfortunately the jbG version is a little out of my price range, so I've been planning to shoot an email to David Klass about making me something similar. I would have it made in plat or 14k just depending on pricing.

Enter the estate Julia semi mount available on the jbG website. I just found it while Googling pictures of Julia rings. It is plat, and previously held a 3.24c diamond which makes me think it would probably hold a 9.5mm moissy, although I know stone depths differ between diamond and moissy. The jbG ring is the 8 pronged version, where as if I was to have a ring made by David I'd go with 6 prongs.

But I'm so torn! Part of me wants a real jbG ring, where the other part wants something brand new made for me. I'm also not sure I'll be able to afford plat on a new ring, whereas the jbG ring is already plat.

So with all of that said, what would YOU do?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like stardust's post:
  • MrsK, OoohShiny
01-17-2015, 05:45 PM,
RE: Confused about my next project!
JbG without a question. I'll come back and explain why. I'd email her NOW and ask if the stone will fit. Do NOT let that get away!

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 05:46 PM,
I would get the jbEG ring. Platinum plus it being the original would sway me, IF your stone would fit Smile

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 05:46 PM,
Snap @stardust

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 05:55 PM,
Agreed. JbEG and plat would win hands down for me. Erica or Grace can tell you what would fit in it too. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 05:56 PM,
Thanks @stardust and @OoohShiny . I have sent Grace an email with all my thousands of questions already. I am just still feeling confused, mostly over the eight prongs I think.

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 06:29 PM,
If your stone fit, original here too! It wouldn't be the exact one otherwise and it's already platinum too. It's kismet! Good Luck! Pic of stone and setting so we can see Please? Wink

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 06:42 PM,
Okay-I'm back!
First: Platinum would win hands down for me.
Second: I like SEEING what I'm going to get. I'm personally too chicken to go custom on anything. Yes, the idea is that you'll get exactly what you want when you go custom, but here you KNOW what you're getting and if you love it, it's a done deal.
Third: I would KILL for 8 prongs over 6! I would also prefer 8 to 9 for the sake of symmetry,but that's just me.
Fourth: I will always, always, always, (if given the option and dh leaves me alone) go estate over new. ALWAYS. I love a good deal!
Fifth: It's a JbG!!!!!

You can of course shop around still, but I would personally buy it (if the stone would fit) inspect it and make sure you're madly in love, and send it back either as a return, or so they can set your stone!

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 07:04 PM,
@stardust thanks for your insight. I agree with most of it, but personally I like the look of six prongs over eight. Eight is almost too much for me, especially on this particular Julia because the prongs aren't especially thin and pointy. I'm assuming the jeweler could make them a little more graceful for me if I asked.

Here is the setting @Slick .

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Here it is with the diamond that was in it originally.

The prongs look bulky to me compared to other Julias I've seen, but I know this can be fixed.

There are pictures of my stone here. http://www.thefacetlounge.com/showthread.php?tid=3548

[-]
  •
01-17-2015, 07:37 PM,
I love that setting. *swoon*