Custom Process help, please?
[-] The following 1 user Likes PimpMyRing's post:
  • SyneSparkles
04-13-2013, 10:05 AM,
Custom Process help, please?
So many of you are experts with this....and I am, well, am the opposite. So can I ask a few questions, please??

1) How certain were you about where you were going with the setting when you started chatting with the vendor?

2) Did you ever buy the stone first, then decide on the setting? Do most vendors prefer you do setting first, stone second?

**the two rings I'm looking at have two stones shapes/cuts that I've never actually seen in person. Cushion, OEC.**

3) How many points of contact - without a decision - before a vendor wants you 'take off'? lol Hide

I'm a bit of a people pleaser...and tend to worry that I'm 'bothering' people. As I don't really know anything about this process, it is quite possible that I am being a nuisance. lol Angel

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 10:14 AM,
RE: Custom Process help, please?
1-pretty certain. I don't like to waste people's time. I work out all my choices here and in my head, or with DH.
2-yes, I like to see my stones in real life first. I don't think they care what you do first, but you need a stone to make a setting.
3-I don't understand your 3rd question. But a vendor can't decide what you want for you. They can give you their professional opinion, but you should know kind of what you want before you start emailing, imo.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 10:33 AM,
(04-13-2013, 10:14 AM)jenncent Wrote: 1-pretty certain. I don't like to waste people's time. I work out all my choices here and in my head, or with DH.
2-yes, I like to see my stones in real life first. I don't think they care what you do first, but you need a stone to make a setting.
3-I don't understand your 3rd question. But a vendor can't decide what you want for you. They can give you their professional opinion, but you should know kind of what you want before you start emailing, imo.

I think you sort of answered 3, actually. Blush I was wondering how many emails b/n vendor and customer typically occur before a final decision is made. I have two projects in mind. The first is squared away but not starting for a little while. The second, seems to be more of a challenge. The setting I liked wasn't going to work the way I needed and now I'm sort of trying to figure that out (about 6 emails in)BlushHuh.

I just notice some here are able to get it done 1-2-3. While others seem to have a lot more back and forth.

Initially, I wanted to see stones first...but then I got the idea that wasn't typical. I think I've probably miscommunicated somehow. Thanks!

[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 11:09 AM,
Well sometimes things won't work, so the vendor needs to work that through with you. I do not think 6 emails is crazy at all. If you are asking questions ad gathering information, I would not worry about it. Smile If you are emailing to say "I don't know what I like" then I think you need to spend more time thinking.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 11:16 AM,
(04-13-2013, 11:09 AM)jenncent Wrote: Well sometimes things won't work, so the vendor needs to work that through with you. I do not think 6 emails is crazy at all. If you are asking questions ad gathering information, I would not worry about it. Smile If you are emailing to say "I don't know what I like" then I think you need to spend more time thinking.

Phew. ok, I feel better. I am asking questions and gathering info...but like you, I HATE feeling like I'm wasting people's time. I'm just so new to this...I wasn't sure what was 'normal'. Smile

Sidenote: Did you see the update re: Canadian patent on BTD? Looks like they rejected C&C's arguments! I think I'll check out the cushion wait list. Wink

[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 11:39 AM,
A custom design is a big cost, you need to be able to ask questions and make an informed decision. Wink

I did read that!!! I would like to be able to ship my AG here honestly, lol. Way less hassle!!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 11:45 AM,
(04-13-2013, 11:39 AM)jenncent Wrote: A custom design is a big cost, you need to be able to ask questions and make an informed decision. Wink

I did read that!!! I would like to be able to ship my AG here honestly, lol. Way less hassle!!

WAY less hassle! If only the avc's would happen that quickly. Wold love that for the SK. LoveLove

Thanks for your advice...again. Wink

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • PimpMyRing
04-13-2013, 11:47 AM,
No worries!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes corbet's post:
  • Anxiouslywaiting
04-13-2013, 05:04 PM,
Hi PMR, I just recently started a custom project with Schubachs and the process IMO has been flawless so far so here goes:
1) I was 100% sure of what I wanted and who I wanted to work with. I purchased a stock wedding set from another vendor and was not too happy with it and returned it. I viewed the vendor's work and loved their craftsmanship. I made contact by email and after a few exchanges and speaking with them, I was certain that custom was the way to go for me and they were the vendors to make it for me.
2) I am opting not to see the stone first. I will be happy with a pic lol I took to the boards here to ask the experienced ladies what they thought as far as my choice of stone as well as setting. The vendor assured me they would find the best stone for my setting and made me feel at ease. Viewing pics helped in my decision and it was so great to see the work and read the testimonials firsthand.
3) Several emails were exchanged with pics and ideas of what I liked and what type of stone could work. After some thought, I made a decision and spoke to the vendor to hammer out all of the details. And a custom design project was born!
I hope this helps! Can't wait to see what you decide! This is my first go round with a custom design and I feel quite confident and SUUPPEER excitedStars

We never really grow up.. We just learn how to act in public
[-]
  •
04-13-2013, 10:31 PM,
(04-13-2013, 05:04 PM)corbet Wrote: Hi PMR, I just recently started a custom project with Schubachs and the process IMO has been flawless so far so here goes:
1) I was 100% sure of what I wanted and who I wanted to work with. I purchased a stock wedding set from another vendor and was not too happy with it and returned it. I viewed the vendor's work and loved their craftsmanship. I made contact by email and after a few exchanges and speaking with them, I was certain that custom was the way to go for me and they were the vendors to make it for me.
2) I am opting not to see the stone first. I will be happy with a pic lol I took to the boards here to ask the experienced ladies what they thought as far as my choice of stone as well as setting. The vendor assured me they would find the best stone for my setting and made me feel at ease. Viewing pics helped in my decision and it was so great to see the work and read the testimonials firsthand.
3) Several emails were exchanged with pics and ideas of what I liked and what type of stone could work. After some thought, I made a decision and spoke to the vendor to hammer out all of the details. And a custom design project was born!
I hope this helps! Can't wait to see what you decide! This is my first go round with a custom design and I feel quite confident and SUUPPEER excitedStars

Congrats on getting started! My first project is pretty set...just on hold for few months or so. http://thefacetlounge.com/showthread.php?tid=817 my thread Smile. The second is a solitaire..and weirdly, I'm having more trouble getting that one right. Lol.

My issue, with the stones actually, is more that I haven't actually seen the OEC moissy cut or cushion cut in person (shapes that am planning to use). I know Beth will select great stones, though. Thanks for your input!