Custom projects: how long do they take?
[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 03:46 PM,
Custom projects: how long do they take?
Hey girls,

Just curious, those of you who have had some experience having pieces custom made, how long does it typically take from start to finish?

I sent my first email 8/31 and didn't envision the project taking so long. The first couple weeks were spent sourcing stones, etc. and with me being high maintenance and changing my mind 50 times on design ideas.

When I worked with this individual before it was a quicker process...I dunno, I'm getting impatient and tired of waiting. I am emailing him every 3-4 days and he says he's super busy, which I understand. I don't want to be annoying but I'm just not a patient person, lol. I also don't want to rush him and then have the quality of the ring suffer.

Just curious what the normal time span is for these things so I can stop obsessing. No, that's a huge f'ing lie, I'll still obsess, but maybe not as much. Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 04:05 PM,
RE: Custom projects: how long do they take?
We have a 6 week production time usually. And 1 week or 2 before that for cads.

I would not be bugging him for another few weeks yet. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 04:07 PM,
If I remember correctly mine took three or four months. But that's because I sent everything in just before Christmas and told Daniel M. that there was no rush on mine as I didn't need it by a particular date

[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 04:12 PM,
Yup I agree around 2-3 months is standard!

[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • mrsmay07
10-06-2013, 04:12 PM,
Are you sure? Lol, ok. I do a really good Veruca Salt-whiny-impatient-brat routine. My accent and foot stomping are impeccable. Guess I'll have to save it!

[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 04:27 PM,
I always expect 2 months at minimum. I am particular and usually there are several iterations of CADs before production. I want them to take their time because things turn out better that way. Makes for a better relationship with the artist also.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • stardust
10-06-2013, 04:34 PM,
LOL, sorry hun. But it is like art, and you want the quality to be perfect. So I would get a hobby... like knitting. Crackup

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 05:50 PM,
Knitting, lol. Oh, I totally would take up knitting but I already have trouble finding storage space for all the ugly, ill-fitting crap my MIL makes. Our house can only fit so much. Crackup If you guys know of anybody with freakishly long arms who enjoys synthetic materials, hit me up!

Thanks ladies for the feedback. I just had no clue what to expect, since my first project with this artist went so quickly and the others weren't custom to this extent. I really want to be a reasonable customer so I will back off and chill! Guess I was just expecting things to move along as before, but he is busier now...

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • stardust
10-06-2013, 06:11 PM,
LOL, I can't knit either, but it sure would be cheaper than sparkles. Crackup

The production part of it takes longer. It is harder than cads etc. And I don't think a they sit on work on one thing until they are done. I think they work on a few at a time. Mentally, I think it is exhausting, so they need to break it up a bit so that they can do their best work on each piece.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM,
Yup, generally 4-5 months is what I'd budget time-wise.

You can still totally whine though. We are really good at nodding along sympathetically.