Diamond dilemmas and 1st world problems
[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 09:33 PM,
Diamond dilemmas and 1st world problems
hi ladies,

So I purchased a 0.61ct transitional cut diamond 2 days ago from MDZ and have been looking around for a suitable temp setting to wear it in for the time being (no such luck yet though.)

In the meantime, I've been second guessing my impulse purchase. I asked the guys from MDZ to send another video, this time with the diamond moving instead of the overhead lights.

I still think it looks like a lively diamond and I love the cut, but sometimes I think I can see some small dark areas when the diamond is moved and tilted around. What do you think?? (And please be honest too as the diamond has not yet been sent out so I have every opportunity now to change my mind if you think there are going to be issues with this diamond.)

First world problems: do I take the risk to have the diamond sent out to me in Oz aand risk not liking it (usually I'm a big fan of symmetry and H&A in modern round brilliant diamonds and I know old cut diamonds usually have only fair or good symmetry by lab standards). I will have to foot the international shipping cost to return if I dont love it.
Or do I buy a finished diamond band I have seen also from MDZ which I love? (Pros of just the band: simplicity of wearing one sparkly band on my ring finger, no need to hunt for setting, sparkliness of small melee diamonds)
This is the diamond band I am also considering:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Don't know what to do! Please weigh in. I value all of your opinions. I love both the tranny diamond and the diamond band equally. HELP

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 10:13 PM,
RE: Diamond dilemmas and 1st world problems
Because looking for just the right setting, even a temporary one can be quite time consuming, and you risk ending up with an unmounted stone just sitting around, I'd say go with the band. You'd have a nick sparkly to wear right away!

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 10:57 PM,
That is a lovely diamond and I think the black is the camera. I love the faceting! Remember you bought it because you wanted a solitaire style so that band is completely the other way.

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:06 PM,
Oh. I didn't know the reason behind the diamond purchase. Stick with your original plan of a solitaire style, even if you don't end up purchasing this particular diamond. Too many times, I've purchased something because it was pretty even when it was not what I was originally looking for, and later regretted the purchase!

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:20 PM,
I think the faceting is just beautiful on this diamond....I feel if your plan originally was to go with a solitaire then that's what you should do.. This stone would look stunning in a simple 6 or 4 prong solitaire...like say for instance the VatcheU113 style..I have seen many old cuts set in this setting over at Pricescope and they look stunning... It's a timeless setting that you can dress up with many different bands for different looks......I really do love the facet pattern on this beauty ,,:-) and I agree any darkness can be from the camera....

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:20 PM,
I forgot the specs. Will this work? I know it is only 3 grams but it is pretty. For a 6mm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DIAMOND-...233df26baa

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:27 PM,
Oh that is a very beautiful setting!! I love that!..:-)

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:35 PM,
This one will work with yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SETTING-...233dfbdfa1

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:37 PM,
I love this too...I Cannot post a pic but here is the link...it says for a 5.8mm to a 6.2m size stone... I think a .61 stone will fit..I do not know your stones measurements.. some gold may have to be added to the bezel to possibly make it fit?..and if so it can be engraved as well to add to the deign?!?.. just a idea... this one is almost 4 grams so not too lightweight...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAMOND-ANTIQUE-...233e10ada7

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 11:38 PM,
Pretty!! @idahosubaru