Diamond match dilemma
[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 06:28 AM,
Question  Diamond match dilemma
I have a question - can you help?

I have a 2.07ct AVR that I am trying to make into an AVR 3 stone ring. I have one (first) AVR side stone that matches the main stone for colour and size. The other (second) is going to need to be cut. So GOG got in 2 potential diamonds (diamond A and B) that can be recut into AVRs. However, we have now noticed that the first AVR side stone has medium fluorescence, and the diamond candidate that has been selected for a recut (diamond A) has no fluorescence. When I enquired about this, I was told that diamond B that was brought in as a potential recut candidate has medium fluorescence. So, it has been suggested that perhaps that is a better candidate for recut and that I can have the 2 side stones with fluorescence. The 2.07ct AVR however has no fluorescence. I have requested the 2.07 AVR be photographed between the first AVR and the second preference for recut (diamond B) for me to see what it will look like...

But ladies, I am not sure how I feel or should feel about having a 3 stone with fluorescent side stones. I dont know much about fluorescence. I have read a bit but at the end of the day, I dont know how I will feel about fluorescent side stones that dont match the center/main stone. If a main stone that was going to be set by itself had fluorescence, I dont think I would have cared, but in a 3 stone, I feel they need to match... that's all I can seem to figure out at the moment. But if this is not a big deal, then I don't want to feel silly about insisting on no fluorescence in the side diamonds.

I have to make a decision rather quickly, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what you would do... my options seem to be:
a) use the AVR with medium fluorescence and have the other stone re-cut from diamond B (with medium fluorescence)
b) have both side diamonds be cut to match (I already have one candidate - diamond A). No fluorescence.

What do you think? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 06:30 AM,
RE: Diamond match dilemma
I should add that the AVR inventory is not extensive at the moment and that it is quite hard to find matching stones.

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 07:53 AM,
@ringcat I don't think flouro is super significant when you're picking out a stone since it's almost an invisible property of it. Unless you're going to be spending a lot of time cosmic bowling or in a tanning bed, I wouldn't worry too much about the flouro and pick whatever stone size and cut will match with the one that you already have Smile

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 09:36 AM,
Have you posted pix of your AVR or have pix of the candidates? THat might help...I'm visual (not that I'm looking for gratuitous diamond pix or anything? Wink). hee hee I agree with JJB...I don't think it will make much difference, visually, in the setting.

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 12:40 PM,
I would not worry about it either. Medium fluro is not even likely to show in the sun.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 04:21 PM,
(02-20-2014, 12:40 PM)jenncent Wrote: I would not worry about it either. Medium fluro is not even likely to show in the sun.

This. The only thing med fluor *might* do is make the color appear a wee bit higher in the sun.

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 06:39 PM,
Thanks JooJoo, PimpMyRing, jenncent, and stardust.

@PimpMyRing I just got some pictures from GOG...

The 2.07 M AVR
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9581/

The AVR side stone that I do have .51 L with med Fluor
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11413/

Pic of the first candidate for recut, .6 LVVS 2 no Fluor
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Pic of the .51 L AVR, 2.07 M AVR, and second candidate for recut, .6 L VS 2 with med Fluor in normal light

And Pic of the .51 L AVR, 2.07 M AVR, and second candidate for recut, .6 L VS 2 with med Fluor in a light box

In both the pictures the AVR with Fluor is on the left.

I guess I now have the choice of getting the better clarity side stones L VVS2 with no Fluor or the L VS2 with med Fluor. The price for both the stones is the same.
Which would you pick?

I am thinking that perhaps I should get the side stone with Fluor so if I happen to see the blue, at least the side stones would match and look even like in the last pic?

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 06:42 PM,
(02-20-2014, 04:21 PM)stardust Wrote:
(02-20-2014, 12:40 PM)jenncent Wrote: I would not worry about it either. Medium fluro is not even likely to show in the sun.

This. The only thing med fluor *might* do is make the color appear a wee bit higher in the sun.

@stardust I think that might be ok star cos I don't mind contrast between the Ls (or lighter) and the M.

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 06:42 PM,
I would probabaly pick no flouro too!!!!

[-]
  •
02-20-2014, 06:44 PM,
I really don't think you will see blue, but I think there is nothing wrong with wanting the side stones to both have fluro, if that makes you more comfortable.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website