Poll: Diamond or FB moissanite baguettes?
Diamond
FB moissanite
[Show Results]

Diamond vs, moissanite baguettes - Klass or Shubach?
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:31 PM,
Diamond vs, moissanite baguettes - Klass or Shubach?
Hi, I'm Christine and I am new. I tend to ramble so I'm going to try to make this as short as possible for ya'lls sake. I am in the process of having a ring made. My future husband gave me a budget of $3,000 for the entire wedding set which led me on an obsessive search that led me to the world of diamond alternatives. I am not sure where ya'll find men who GET IT when it comes to jewelry, but mine thinks he could hammer metal, put a piece of glass in it and no one would know the difference. Along my search I fell in love with a ring - posted (it is currently on sale on DiamondBistro!!! If only the 8.5mm wouldn't swallow my 4.75 finger) - and just ... swoon. This ring caught me, and I very much would like a variation of it. Which leads me to this post. The particular ring posted is by David Klass. I have emailed both Klass and Shubach's for a quote and received excellent customer service from both. David Klass quoted me using 2 H VS tapered baguettes, Shubach's quoting me $55 lower, using moissanite for the baguettes. I am at a stand still. How do diamond baguettes compare to moissanite? Can diamonds stand their own again a moissanite center? I've researched moissanite baguettes and found very, very little. Do you recommend one jeweler over the other, or diamond vs. moissanite baguettes?

My other options are do custom order via MoissaniteCo but - and correct me if I'm wrong - I feel the higher quotes yield better quality ... or I could put my faith in a local jeweler and hope he can customize a ring for me.

In case it matters, I wear a 4.75 and want a 7 mm OEC (undecided on unenhanced vs FB) for the center. This needs to be a forever - or at least 5 years - ring for me, so I'm much overwhelmed. I've posted on another forum as well, so if you see me there ... ignore me. : )

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:40 PM,
RE: Diamond vs, moissanite baguettes - Klass or Shubach?
That ring belonged to a member here on the board I have rings from both of these sellers. They are both amazing and do great work! I would probably do diamond sides because of the coloring you sometimes find in the different shapes of moissanite, but really you can't go wrong either way.

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:41 PM,
Cow Welcome @ChristineRenee5 Nice to see you here.

Isn't that a lovely ring! Wink it's a beauty!
I think the moissanite tapered baguettes are more radiant(?) cut than step cut. They have an x-like look to them. I did find them for sale, but I like step cut better. I couldn't confirm for sure that we could source *step cut* moissies. The stones in the above ring are natural H-I diamond tapered baguettes and I think they match perfectly. I never noticed much of a difference, and in a smaller size it would be even less noticeable. I'd go with the diamond baguettes personally!
Good luck making your dream ring! Bighug

[-] The following 1 user Likes ChristineRenee5's post:
  • Slick
09-19-2014, 07:51 PM,
(09-19-2014, 07:41 PM)Slick Wrote: Cow Welcome @ChristineRenee5 Nice to see you here.

Isn't that a lovely ring! Wink it's a beauty!
I think the moissanite tapered baguettes are more radiant(?) cut than step cut. They have an x-like look to them. I did find them for sale, but I like step cut better. I couldn't confirm for sure that we could source *step cut* moissies. The stones in the above ring are natural H-I diamond tapered baguettes and I think they match perfectly. I never noticed much of a difference, and in a smaller size it would be even less noticeable. I'd go with the diamond baguettes personally!
Good luck making your dream ring! Bighug

Thank you! I was just about to tell the previous poster that I may ... or may not ... have tracked you down and questioned you about this beauty on another board! I saw a drawn picture of the baguette cuts and the x-like lines, but could only find one single picture that I could confirm was moissanite baguettes.
http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/...Post342640
How cool that you can tag and "like" posts! I was a PSer many years ago but fell out of the loop ... what a neat forum!

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:54 PM,
My two cents ... If this ring needs to keep you happy for at least 5 years and/or be a forever ring, and you love it, I would buy that Harry inspired David Klass ring and never look back. It's gorgeous, inevitable shrinkage sets in and ... well, as @stardust once told me, "bling is a fickle mistress." Angel

But, you can't go wrong with either DK or Schubach's. Both are highly regarded, and I think you will be pleased. Wink

I haven't seen Moissy baguettes though, so I totally cannot comment on them. I will say that I have diamond bags in my OMC diamond ring, and they aren't super sparkly; its a different look really. I wouldn't mind seeing Moissy bags compared to diamonds. Popcorn

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:59 PM,
here is the Schubach's version with moissy baguettes. I think they are step cut,, could be wrong, but they look it to me. And Beth says the colour is great in them. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 08:01 PM,
@ChristineRenee5 Haha. This place is a wonderful blessing and a curse just the same! Hide
Like I said over there, you really can't go wrong with either vendor. They're both fabulous! The price difference between moissy and diamonds is almost negligible, so I still say have whomever you go with match the diamonds to your choice of center stone. It's going to be gorgeous!

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 08:04 PM,
(09-19-2014, 07:59 PM)jenncent Wrote: here is the Schubach's version with moissy baguettes. I think they are step cut,, could be wrong, but they look it to me. And Beth says the colour is great in them. Wink

Are those ... how did @Slick say it .. moissies? Moises? Like I said ... I am new, hah. Still learning. I received that video in an email from Beth but had NO idea that those weren't diamonds! I thought she was comparing the style for me. I feel silly now! Perhaps the fact that I didn't know says something as well? The ring is beautiful.

ETA: Now that I am criticing the video I can see it! Oh man ... I kind of like it!

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 08:25 PM,
That is an excellent ring on the bistro but if you are unsure of the size then maybe it is not for you. IMHO I would definitely pick diamonds over moissy. I have seen the moissy tapered baguettes in person and am not a fan of them.

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 08:43 PM,
I agree with the bistro ring, I wear a size 4 and an 8.5mm stone feels right at home on my finger!

For having a custom made one for you, I think it would depend on what you decide on the center stone. I don't think myself I would go with diamond sides, with an unenhanced center stone, I need my mismatch to REALLY mismatch, or else they better dang match!

But then again, those side moissy baguettes in the schubachs video above are dang white. I think you'll get a ring that's amazing from either DK or schubachs, if you look around they both do amazing work! Smile