Do OECs always face up smaller than RBs?
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 05:25 PM,
Do OECs always face up smaller than RBs?
I know there has been some speculation that they can due to the smaller tables and higher crowns. I am really trying to figure out stone size for a solitaire for me. The 8mm is pretty, but it's too small. A 9mm seems like the next logical choice, but if it's going to face up like an 8mm then I won't be thrilled.

Thoughts? I know a few have had 9 or 10mm OECs. Talk to me.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 05:29 PM,
RE: Do OECs always face up smaller than RBs?
I would say they seem .5mm smaller than rbs. There is no logic to it, yet I stand behind it, lol. My 10mm were not like 9mm but not like 10mm either.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 06:08 PM,
My 8mm OEC was a little small for me, and it was bezeled so appeared larger. I think I would do 9 or 9.5 for a solitaire if I went OEC again. 10mm is just a smidge big, imo.

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM,
Not sure how that would be possible when measured by mm not ct -- a round 8mm is a round 8mm no matter what. Not like comparing an 8mm round to an 8mm cushion. Perhaps it is an optical illusion. Confused

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 06:48 PM,
(05-15-2014, 06:31 PM)poppyseed Wrote: Not sure how that would be possible when measured by mm not ct -- a round 8mm is a round 8mm no matter what. Not like comparing an 8mm round to an 8mm cushion. Perhaps it is an optical illusion. Confused

Yes, Poppy. That's what people are saying. Dimensions across are clearly the same, and they're both round, but the way the light reflects are different enough to fool the eye.

Or so I've read.

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:11 PM,
I think so - I agree with jenncent - My 8mm OEC looks smaller than its 8mm RB counterpart - I can't explain it, but it does!

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:12 PM,
A pound of fat and and pound of muscle is.... A pound - but they take up a different amount of space.... Deep thoughts lol

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:34 PM,
I really think its because of the smaller table and angle of the crown. The mm is measured at the girdle.

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:38 PM,
(05-15-2014, 07:12 PM)MicheleZ Wrote: A pound of fat and and pound of muscle is.... A pound - but they take up a different amount of space.... Deep thoughts lol

LOL

I think so too, Idaho.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:56 PM,
Yep I agree OECs face up smaller, but on that note it depends on the setting too. My 6mm bezels seem quite large almost close to my 2 carat diamond. The 9.5mm solitaire I had was huge. Great finger coverage, but too big and uncomfortable for me to wear. I didn't have a diamond that big to compare it to though!