Do OMC's face up larger?
[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 06:34 AM,
Do OMC's face up larger?
I need a final clarification on this. Cushions face up larger than rounds, yes? Everytime I am convinced of this...I read a post that confuses me.

I was on OWD yesterday and it occurred to me that OMC's likely face up the same way as cushions (larger, for the most part). Correct assumption?? OMC and ACC face up larger than the OEC's? Hope I haven't confused anyone else.Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 09:57 AM,
RE: Do OMC's face up larger?
I think it's confusing because I talk about size in mm vs. ct weight. I actually could care less about carats, to me it's more important to talk about mm size and proportions.

[-]
  •
03-06-2013, 11:43 AM,
(03-06-2013, 09:57 AM)Lorrissey Wrote: I think it's confusing because I talk about size in mm vs. ct weight. I actually could care less about carats, to me it's more important to talk about mm size and proportions.

No, that doesn't confuse me. Or maybe? lol So - when I'm looking at OWD (or otherwise), I tend to compare compare carat weight and mm size as a rough indicator of decent proportions. With the OMC's, I was thinking about the the proportions of round stones. e.g. 6.5mm would be 'roughly' around 1 carat. I'm thinking, though, it probably/maybe makes more sense to be comparing OMC and cushion shapes. Huh

[-] The following 2 users Like MoreSparkles!'s post:
  • Lorrissey, PimpMyRing
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM,
An 8mm cushion faces up bigger than an 8mm round.
BUT a 2 carat cushion faces up smaller than a 2 carat round.

....... Cushions hold more weight in their bellies, like me after the holidays. So an 8mm cushion is actually like 2.8 carats(ish).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Turks's post:
  • PimpMyRing
03-06-2013, 12:19 PM,
The other factor to consider is an OMC will typically have a higher crown than an OEC (which has a higher crown than a RB) so more weight will be carried there as well.

You should just look at square or round, and then diameter measurement, if you really want to compare apples to apples. Weights are dependent on lots and lots of things.