Poll: Do you see moissanite as a simulant, primarily?
Yes, it's a simulant.
Nope, just a happy synthetic.
[Show Results]

Do you see moissanite as a simulant?
[-] The following 2 users Like Circe's post:
  • moissypaws, sparkletiger
12-26-2013, 12:52 PM,
Do you see moissanite as a simulant?
I've seen more than a few conversations scattered around the internet about whether moissanite is or is not a simulant. I'm kinda torn on it, because, c'mon, it was developed as a synthetic because of its potential for resembling diamond. I'm betting a majority of the people who buy it wind up passing it off, deliberately or inadvertantly, because there's such a stigma against man-made gems in our society (yet, oddly, few people will sniff at their peers for not wearing pure silk 24/7). And that can be by bald-faced lying or just by not making every social occasion A Teaching Moment: I mean, I'm happy to sing its praises if anybody asks me anything about my moissanite pieces (I am also the person who will talk your ear off about vintage clothing and old world craftsmanship should you make the mistake of complimenting my dress or whatever), but I'm not going to TMI every innocent person I pass on the street.

I guess it's on my mind because I dropped a ring with a moissanite center off with my jeweler the other day, and he called to ask WTH it was, because he could tell its wasn't a diamond, and that he'd have to be more careful with it than usual, but he couldn't tell if it was a CZ or what, because, well ... yeah, it's kind of weird! I just had this overwhelming desire to be like, "Have you taken it into the light? Huh? Huh? Huh? Isn't it COOL?" which I get the sense might not be the typical reaction, having seen, a) lots of threads where people are proud their jewelers can't tell, or, b) are really offended or embarrassed if they can.

I actually really hope that once the patent expires, we see more variety, and with less of a bent towards diamondesque effects: if I could get my hands on a green OEC, I would be all over that. We shall see, I suppose, but in the meantime ... your thoughts? Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 01:22 PM,
RE: Do you see moissanite as a simulant?
I see it as a synthetic. I know it was originally created as a simulant. For me, it's something different. I like moissanite for what it is. I'm sure most people see mine and think diamond. If they ask about it, I will tell them it's moissy.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HS4S's post:
  • Taeyers
12-26-2013, 01:23 PM,
I do not :-) I have a diamond and I wanted moissanite. For many different reasons.....none of them being about simulating a diamond. I actually enjoy the non diamond like behavior :-)

[-] The following 1 user Likes sparkletiger's post:
  • moissypaws
12-26-2013, 01:46 PM,
Moissy is definitely an alternative and not Simulant.
I love both diamond and Moissy, but they are different if you look closer and "dig deeper". I love fire of Moissy, it's brilliance and performance. These are also the characteristics which I love about diamonds. The biggest downside of diamond is the price though.. But even that is not really a downside as such because it is the high price of diamond which is what partially accounts for the cudos of having a big diamond ring - not everyone can have or afford a big diamond ring like not everyone can have a Rolex or drive a Porsche.
Anyways, I love diamonds and I love Moissy too Heart ... I voted "synthetic happy alternative". Popcorn

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 02:12 PM,
I'm proud to have a moissanite. I have a diamond and it's gorgeous...but, meh. Been there, done that. If someone gives me a compliment on my ring, I say thank you. To be honest, I've not really received any! My family knows it's moissy, but nobody else has asked. Smile

[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 02:13 PM,
(12-26-2013, 02:12 PM)moissypaws Wrote: I'm proud to have a moissanite. I have a diamond and it's gorgeous...but, meh. Been there, done that. If someone gives me a compliment on my ring, I say thank you. To be honest, I've not really received any! My family knows it's moissy, but nobody else has asked. Smile

ETA: I received lots of compliments from you ladies, and thank you!!! I meant in-person compliments...I've only received 2 or 3. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes Barlan's post:
  • moissypaws
12-26-2013, 02:24 PM,
You can call it whatever you like, stimulant or synthetic, it is still, to my mind, a diamond lookalike. Let's be honest, most people don't know the difference and just assume it is a diamond. I've never been asked and I don't tell. I've never been a fan of cz (too glassy) so moissanite is perfect for me. I may be the odd one here, but I would never tell anyone it wasn't a diamond.

[-] The following 1 user Likes idahosubaru's post:
  • sparkletiger
12-26-2013, 02:27 PM,
This is a very difficult question for me. I have found over this past year that I am probably all about the setting instead of what goes in it. I find or think of something I would like to do and then work on that. Then I decide what to put in it. The vintage ring could have had moissies in it but because of the vintage look and my desire to have a small collection worthy of passing along to children I chose to do diamonds and a natural sapphire. Maybe because in the back of my mind to be worthy it needs to be diamonds and sapphires. Wrong? I don't know.

As far as moissanite, some know close to me and those I work with know it is moissanite but I don't TMI, as Circe says, to everyone who compliments my jewelry. I guess I see it as a synthetic. It is beautiful. But I rarely wear my leaf ring. Maybe it is too big of stone for me to comfortably wear. But I do not like CZ at all.

Sure would love an AVC in moissanite like Circe said.

Confused

[-]
  •
12-26-2013, 02:27 PM,
No one ever asked me wether it is a diamond or not ...I am happy for people to assume it is though because diamonds are beautiful.. Heart

@idahosubaru Diamonds are more worthy I think there is no arguing that. Your vintage ring is amazing...LoveLove I am so happy though that Moissy exists because it is such a gorgeous and affordable fire cracker stone ... Whoever invented it, should be given a Nobel Prize.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-] The following 1 user Likes moissypaws's post:
  • sparkletiger
12-26-2013, 02:38 PM,
Smile I love reading about this! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Moissan