Does smaller moissy chip easily?
[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 10:26 AM,
Does smaller moissy chip easily?
I think I've read that the moissanite melee is brittle, is that true? And of course there have been threads about owners of moissy eternities with chipped stones.. So I'm wondering if it makes any sense to have a custom made eternity with 2mm moissanites. It would be a bezel setting. I much prefer moissanites at this size over diamonds but if it won't last over the long haul, it'd be a bad idea. Any advice?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 10:28 AM,
RE: Does smaller moissy chip easily?
I have a sapphire and moissanite eternity band in a prong setting and haven't had any issues with shipping. It was owned by the previous owner for several years too. I think if you choose a bezel and wear your jewelry with care there shouldn't be any issue. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • Glitzy
02-21-2014, 10:46 AM,
Compared to diamond, yes. We have had to replace a lot more melee diamonds from chipping than we have diamonds. But it doesn't mean you should not do it in my opinion. I would just be prepared for the occasional chipped stone. They are quite affordable, so even if you need a new one once every so often I think it would be worth it. I had to tell my self the same thing with diamond eternities too, because really, they are just a little more precarious.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 10:52 AM,
(02-21-2014, 10:46 AM)jenncent Wrote: Compared to diamond, yes. We have had to replace a lot more melee diamonds from chipping than we have diamonds. But it doesn't mean you should not do it in my opinion. I would just be prepared for the occasional chipped stone. They are quite affordable, so even if you need a new one once every so often I think it would be worth it. I had to tell my self the same thing with diamond eternities too, because really, they are just a little more precarious.

Jenncent, is moissanite a lot more prone to chipping? The larger stones too? My original moissanite was a 3 stone that I wore as a rhr for years. I never took it off for anything and it is like new 8 years later. I hope my oec stays safe. Love her :-)

[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 10:59 AM,
I have a 2mm eternity that I've owned for a number of years and it's holding up great. I have a similar sized diamond RB eternity that I rarely wear because the moissy out sparkles it

[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 11:10 AM,
(02-21-2014, 10:52 AM)Homeschooling 4 Stars Wrote:
(02-21-2014, 10:46 AM)jenncent Wrote: Compared to diamond, yes. We have had to replace a lot more melee diamonds from chipping than we have diamonds. But it doesn't mean you should not do it in my opinion. I would just be prepared for the occasional chipped stone. They are quite affordable, so even if you need a new one once every so often I think it would be worth it. I had to tell my self the same thing with diamond eternities too, because really, they are just a little more precarious.

Jenncent, is moissanite a lot more prone to chipping? The larger stones too? My original moissanite was a 3 stone that I wore as a rhr for years. I never took it off for anything and it is like new 8 years later. I hope my oec stays safe. Love her :-)

Well, it is softer than diamond. Some people will not have any issues, others will. I wear my moissy eternity and I don't worry about it though. I just bought 2 extra stones at the same time, since they are colour enhanced and I cannot replace them if I break them.

I would not stress about it. But I would have it insured all the same.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 11:21 AM,
So sounds like several of you have had good experiences so far but I just need to be prepared that maybe in the future I might need a repair. I can live with that. Smile

[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 11:22 AM,
That is how I look at it too. It is an easy enough fix. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 12:10 PM,
(02-21-2014, 10:26 AM)MrsFloppy Wrote: I think I've read that the moissanite melee is brittle, is that true? And of course there have been threads about owners of moissy eternities with chipped stones.. So I'm wondering if it makes any sense to have a custom made eternity with 2mm moissanites. It would be a bezel setting. I much prefer moissanites at this size over diamonds but if it won't last over the long haul, it'd be a bad idea. Any advice?

I am having a 2.5mm moissy and ruby eternity made right now. I already have a moissy shared prong where the stones are totally exposed on the girdle and there are a couple tiny chips but they are not visible with the naked eye. This is not a style I would choose again, though, and my ruby will be a standard eternity like JooJoo's sapphire/moissy band. You will be even safer with a bezel. Eventually I'll replace the stones as it's pretty inexpensive with moissy (the stones are like $25 plus labor) and to me it's worth it because the sparkle is so superior to diamond in the smaller sizes.

[-]
  •
02-21-2014, 01:57 PM,
(02-21-2014, 12:10 PM)EarthDiva Wrote: I am having a 2.5mm moissy and ruby eternity made right now. I already have a moissy shared prong where the stones are totally exposed on the girdle and there are a couple tiny chips but they are not visible with the naked eye. This is not a style I would choose again, though, and my ruby will be a standard eternity like JooJoo's sapphire/moissy band. You will be even safer with a bezel. Eventually I'll replace the stones as it's pretty inexpensive with moissy (the stones are like $25 plus labor) and to me it's worth it because the sparkle is so superior to diamond in the smaller sizes.

Sounds lovely. When will your eternity be done? Heart