Does this Amora Gem look cloudy?
[-]
  •
10-11-2014, 11:27 AM,
Does this Amora Gem look cloudy?
I saw this review on Weddingbee and was wondering if this AG looked cloudy to anyone else:
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/my-am...-gorgeous/

I have spent time researching and saw moissanite in person which led me to decide to move away from moissanite due to color sensitivity. I'd love to get an Amora Gem but this cloudiness in a gem would concern me. It looks plasticky.

Is it due to poor camera technique? Are my eyes deceiving me? Or is does it genuinely look cloudy?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • coral, mmascall
10-11-2014, 12:06 PM,
RE: Does this Amora Gem look cloudy?
Well, some people have seen that in their stones but others have not. So it seems the best thing to do is order one and see in real life. Cameras do mess up the optics if gems so I think it really is important to view one for yourself.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-11-2014, 12:41 PM,
Thanks for the reply! I'm just now getting into the Amora Gem research. It's unfortunate that this occasionally happens in AGs but it's relieving that this isn't present in all AGs and I am ok with ordering a few to check them out and returning. BTD seems to only allow orders of 2 AGs per customer per oder so I hope I'm not annoying in having to order too many times!

[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • coral
10-11-2014, 12:43 PM,
I want to get an AG, too, because I've determined that I am also color sensitive. That stone looks cloudy and milky to me, too, though. It could be the pics...my colored stones can look very different in photos vs. real life. There does seem to be a difference from stone to stone. How much of a discrepancy in performance I have no idea, it could be lighting, camera angle or the camera itself that is playing it up or down. They do have a good return policy so you can always give it a shot and see for yourself in person.

[-]
  •
10-11-2014, 12:46 PM,
Thanks EarthDiva! Up until now I've only seen great pics of the AG, so I agree this milkiness is either due an anomaly in the stone itself or poor camera angles/skills. I didn't realize how much camera could play into making stones look a certain way. Originally I thought it could just be because of lack of focus. It's good to know all the possibilities, I'm glad I'm going in with eyes open. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • coral
10-11-2014, 12:53 PM,
I think it looks a little milky too. But I have seen some nice ones out there. I must admit though it is still very pretty, check out btd forum where I think she posted more pics with a better camera. I think...
I'm watching them too.. Wink

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • coral
10-11-2014, 01:09 PM,
Moissy has a tendency to want to be blurry in photos. It's actually harder to get crisp pictures of moissanite than it is most other gems IMO/E. I definitely vote for seeing one in person-mostly because there is still variance between stones (as is the case for just about any hand faceted stone.)

Even if you like 100 pictures you see, you could not like the one you get, which just means you have to try another!

I've had loads of moissy and only ever gotten one dud.

[-]
  •
10-11-2014, 02:24 PM,
Thanks for the tips, slick and stardust! I'll be going to see more pictures on BTD and I'll keep in mind that any SiC gemstone might look blurry in photos and that each one is unique. Is the blurriness because of the double refraction?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Brit's post:
  • coral
10-11-2014, 03:42 PM,
I have owned three AG's and still own two now. I will say without a doubt they are VERY difficulty to photograph. I have all kinds of pictures of these stones looking cloudy, milky, and foggy and they are not. They are very brilliant and throw a lot of light back at you so it is hard to get pictures that show depth and are crisp. With my old iphone 5 I was able to get some decent shots of the stones, but it broke and I got an insurance replacement and cannot get really good stills with it. It is very frustrating. But like the others have said the best way to gauge if you are going to like an AG is to order one and see for yourself.

[-]
  •
10-11-2014, 04:06 PM,
Thanks for the advice Brit! It's relieving to know that your Amora Gems are beautiful in person and you've had difficulty to photographing them. I'm so glad I created this thread and got your perspective! At the end of the day how the AG photographs is low on my list of priorities. I'm looking for a sparkly and brilliant gem without the color I saw in moissanite. Smile