Earring backs
[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 02:24 PM,
Earring backs
This illustration sums up my issue...

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

In words... My ear lobes are going softer and softer with age, and even though my studs are only 4mm and weigh nothing, they are tilting downward, which makes the edge of the friction back cut into the back of my ear. My backs are somewhat rounded, but still, they feel like little knives. It's been months that they've been driving me nuts. Something has to be done.

Because I MUST have a loose fit, I can't just squeeze them tighter in my ears. I tried those backs with the plastic saucers around them, but that also drove my sensitive self crazy. I'm like the Princess and the Pea. Hurh

I think my only answer is to go to locking backs because they have more surface area to mitigate the tipping, they have rounded edges to mitigate the little knife feeling, and they are gold to satisfy my metal allergy. I can't think of the brand name people use, but I mean these things...

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

My questions to you:
1) Is my thinking on target or misguided? Any advice?
2) Can I put this locking back onto my standard posts, or are these backs proprietary and require a new set of earrings in order to fit together?

Sharp mind, soft belly.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 03:09 PM,
RE: Earring backs
I can't answer your questions but you re thinking of La Pousette

[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 03:11 PM,
Hadley I think they are protector backs and I just got my first set on my OEC moissanite earrings and they are sooooo comfortable. Not certain on the second part of the question just wanted to let you know the comfort is there even when I wear them tight. ~Red

[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 03:32 PM,
Protector backs -- that's what I couldn't think of. I think the brand name everyone uses is Protektor with a K instead of a C? Thanks, Red. And thanks for the info that they are super comfortable. I certainly like to hear that!

BMV, I've never heard of La Pousette. I did a Google search and got back a bunch of French I can't read, and the Images tab showed salads, desserts, beer, and strollers. So I concluded that La Pousette is French for "Mamma's Day Out," which I further conclude is a grown up version of "Girls' Night Out," in which mothers gather to eat and get a buzz on, then take their infants for a walk. Rofl

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM,
(07-25-2013, 03:09 PM)BMV Wrote: I can't answer your questions but you re thinking of La Pousette

This is what I've called them too.

[-] The following 1 user Likes battah's post:
  • stardust
07-25-2013, 04:02 PM,
My jeweler calls them la poussette too. I think it's just the brand, there are a few different ones.

I'm not a fan for them for sagging earrings tho. Because you can't snug them at all, my earrings with this backs droop. I love my huge earring backs. Regular butterfly backs, but bigger with more surface area. Got them on amazon.

[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 04:04 PM,
I need to find a backing for a gold piercing stud (the ones from way back in the day from the (cringe) guns. I had my originals and dd was wearing them because they were 14k gold. But then she lost a back.

I should check ebay, huh?

[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 04:15 PM,
(07-25-2013, 04:02 PM)battah Wrote: I'm not a fan for them for sagging earrings tho. Because you can't snug them at all, my earrings with this backs droop.

This is very good to know. They ain't a cheap little item. I'm so grateful for everyone's experience and wisdom here.

Your "because you can't snug them" comment leads me to understand that they have to sit in the groove at the end of the post? Do they require special posts with a number of notches to choose from?

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 04:25 PM,
I have used my protector backs snugged up, but this defeats the locking mechanism. (Although it does snap back then the backing gets to a groove).

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
07-25-2013, 04:36 PM,
There are a few brands out there, Protektor is one. I find them very comfy, all of mine are locking backs. But they do require their own post.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website