Engagement ring styles through the years
[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:13 PM,
Engagement ring styles through the years
Just like anything else, there are trends in jewelry. I thought it would be fun to talk about what you remember most from jewelry trends.

I don't know much about the 70's, but cluster rings come to mind.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

The 80'ssssssssssssss, lots of jewelry still around from then. I see some of these sets on the subway daily. For some reason these are very memorable to me, baguettes had their hay day.

Then the 90's which to me were the age of Tiffany's. Everyone wore silver jewelry by them, and their solitaire and eternity band were king. So in a couple years, you guys can tell me "You're set is sooooooooo 90's"

The 2000's brought the halo, I think it is much refined from the cluster setting. The cushion halo was "the ring" for a while, I know some people are tired of halos. While they were really popular, I still think they are insanely beautiful especially in low lights, they are literally the ballgowns of jewelry (thanks Leon).

I don't know what the "now" thing is. On the boards I definitely think antique cuts are the thing, hey I've jumped on the band wagon too. In real life, I don't know if people are as obsessed with antique cuts as we are. While jewelry does have trends, I also think certain styles look better on certain people - so it doesn't really matter. One thing I didn't add anywhere were step cuts (especially three stone step cuts) to me those are truly classic and timeless.

This was my wacky interpretation of jewelry history. What do you associate with jewelry trends?

So, show me your jewelry timeline Smile

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:18 PM,
RE: Engagement ring styles through the years
Lots of bypass styles in the 90's too. That marquise is kinda like that. My first set was a bypass and now it is a pendant. I remember all those styles that you posted!

[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:24 PM,
I also want to say that I think it's cool do have an evolution in jewelry, I don't think 80's or any other styles are bad. I'm excited to think about what settings will look like 20 years from now. Popcorn (I'll just eat popcorn till then)

Like this Idaho? I didn't know what bypass meant, I looked it up and said: oooooooooohh, those rings!

[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:31 PM,
MS this is my original ring on the bottom and a .5 ct above it bezel set. The bands were kind of like that ring you posted in that they wrapped around the stones. My mom's ring from the 60's is in platinum and like that too, only smaller. That little gold ball on the pendant was not there when it was a ring. The jeweler put it there to kind of balance the wrap design. I guess maybe the style is a wrap rather than bypass.

[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:32 PM,
Love it!

[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:41 PM,
Very interesting to look back!! One of the reasons i don't like yellow gold (apart from it looking terrible on my skin colouring) is that it looks dated to me. (Sorry Hadley and the yellow gold fans!) I realise it doesn't make sense, but i guess growing up, nearly all of the "mums" had yellow gold, so that's the association for me.

I sometimes wonder how much our taste in jewellery reflects our life stage, and how much it is a reflection of popular culture. It seems recently that so many celebrities are getting halos. I used to hate them unreservedly, but in the last 2 years, i've gone from tolerating them to actually liking some of them! Maybe i'm just getting used to seeing them more often?

[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:44 PM,
When I came to the boards I was white gold all the way. My parents and all of their friends all had yellow gold rings, but I think that the pendulum is swinging back. With the antique cuts comes the yellow gold. I am way too pale for 14YG, but I really love unplated WG now. Even more that platinum and plated WG, who would have thought! Smile

[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:52 PM,
Your time line is how I remember it too, MS Smile

I think antique cuts are becoming a trend. It is boards like this and PS that start trends. Just like fashionistas start fashion trends, jewelryistas start jewelry trend.

I see micro pave as a thing of the 2000s for sure. But I think it will continue a while longer. I think the next up and coming is a bit bolder again, and more substantial. And I see art deco influences being big in the next decade. As well as coloured stones and more detailed settings. The more precise details that we love have already started to trickle down to mall store. But I think people will start to find that their micro pave is not that wearable, so that is why sturdier settings will come back in. Not everyone babies their pave like I do.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 07:54 PM,
Marquis cut diamonds were big in the 80's. Was it in the 90's that princess cuts were big?

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
01-09-2013, 08:04 PM,
Ooooohhh Mrs. K taking it to the next level, you're totally right. And RB's, with the H&A, AGS00 and all that were THE stone in the late 90's/2000's.

Jenn, awesome. I'm glad antique cuts are rolling into town and bringing antique settings with them. I love me some art deco jewelry. I do think the pendulum tends to swing back and fourth. The busy jewelry of the 80's lead to the simple solitaire setting. The highly faceted rounds lead to the lower facet-count antiques. The high maintenance of micropave will probably lead to more daily wear settings....

How cool is that. I want to be a jewelry historian :p