Enhanced vs regular moissanite
[-]
  •
12-22-2012, 12:15 PM,
Enhanced vs regular moissanite
Do you think enhanced moissy sparkles somewhat better than amora moissanite? I have never seen unenhanced in person yet, only amora.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-22-2012, 12:58 PM,
RE: Enhanced vs regular moissanite
I don't think they sparkle any less. I think they just sparkle a bit differently. I think Amora can flash off more white than rainbows. More like diamonds. However, it's not enough that it looks like a diamond. That is my opinion due to my experience with both. I know others don't agree with that.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
12-22-2012, 02:43 PM,
I own and live with both. I've had unenhanced RBs for something like 12 years, and an Amora RB for 1.5 years now. I can't tell any difference between them as far as the light play and flashes of color. The consistent body color of my Amora is whiter, but the fire / sparkle / disco ball effect is the same.

I also have an Amora cushion, which is a bit bigger than my two rounds. That has a noticeable decrease in light play and flashes of color. It's at least a 25% decrease in fire compared to my rounds. At least. I often don't notice my cushion when I wear it, then I put my round on and it says, "Whee! Check me out!" and it's impossible for it to go unnoticed.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
12-22-2012, 03:12 PM,
(12-22-2012, 02:43 PM)Hadley Wrote: I also have an Amora cushion, which is a bit bigger than my two rounds. That has a noticeable decrease in light play and flashes of color. It's at least a 25% decrease in fire compared to my rounds. At least. I often don't notice my cushion when I wear it, then I put my round on and it says, "Whee! Check me out!" and it's impossible for it to go unnoticed.

Hadley do you think this is because of the cushion cut or the amora treatment? I sent a Forever Brilliant cushion to DK to put in a ring I already had and I guess I did not check it out enough to notice if the light play was different than my unenhanced square brilliant that is older. The SB is way yellower though.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hadley's post:
  • Rusalka
12-22-2012, 05:58 PM,
Because of the identical sparkle in both versions of my rounds, I suspect it is the cushion cut. The unenhanced RB and the Amora RB branches of the family tree sparkle at 100%, but the cushion sparkles at 75% or maybe even less.

RB is the standard shape cut for a reason. They really do bring out the best of everything in diamonds and Moissy. Unfortunately for people like me, that makes them ubiquitous and feeling rather generic. I yearned for a "not round" forever, but I ended up disappointed in a big way with an Asscher cut and _______ with a cushion. The blank spot is because I'm not sure what to call it. I'm not disappointed by the cushion, for sure. It's a killer cut and a gorgeous stone and I LOVE my "not round" ring. But the bottom line for me is that I'm a sparkle whore and the round cut BRINGS IT, baby. Smile

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
12-22-2012, 11:35 PM,
I guess maybe because I do not have a RB moissanite to compare it to, other than melee or the older 4mm's in my 3 stone that are very yellow, I may be happy with the cushion. I really want moissanite OECs for my 5 stone but that project will have to wait because the stones are gonna cost me a pretty penny. I thought the cushion was very pretty before I sent it off to DK. I am unimpressed with the 7.5mm Asha that I have in a knife edge solitaire. It is very blah to me and too white. I will probably not buy another one. I think I am a moissy girl.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hadley's post:
  • Rusalka
12-23-2012, 12:08 AM,
I mean it when I say that my cushion is gorgeous and I love it, even if it doesn't quite hit the red line on the sparkle meter. I think you will adore yours, especially enhanced since you don't like the yellow in your older stones. Older Moissy can be awfully unappealing in general, and especially SB cuts show that telltale greenish yellow cast. I predict that when you get your new cushion, you'll do the yippee dance.

I also didn't care for Asha when I lived with it. That was the Asscher that bummed me out. I also thought it was blah, even factoring in that step cuts are their own type of beauty and comparing that to the dazzle of a RB is an unfair apples to oranges game. I just thought it was too white and glassy. And holy dirt collection, Batman!

Be sure to post photos and review of that yummy cushion when you get it!

Sharp mind, soft belly.