Experiences with custom work?
[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM,
Experiences with custom work?
I'm trying to decide which jeweler to go with to make the setting for the 8.5mm moissanite I recently ordered (I'll post pictures when it arrives). I was planning on David Klass, since he made the wishingandhoping/Ginger setting that I love and plan to tweak, but something is making me nervous. I'm not sure if it's the gigantic, macro, flash photos I keep seeing of his work that make it look less nice than it probably is, or what. And a few comments ladies made about their items having spots that weren't perfectly polished, etc.

He's certainly the cheapest for what I want to do, and since he's made the setting a few times, I know what I'm getting. But I wonder if it's worth the extra to go to a different bench, like Schubach's, that does really amazing work?

Please help reassure me/advise me! I really do need to save the money if I can, but I also want to make sure I get a piece that I love and that doesn't need repairs or additional work.

Thanks!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:18 AM,
RE: Experiences with custom work?
I think Schubach's work is outstanding as well as Wink.

[-] The following 1 user Likes idahosubaru's post:
  • LisaBee
03-24-2013, 11:19 AM,
I am very happy with my ring from DK. That said I did express my concerns about durability and polishing to him right up front because of the concerns and work others have had from him. I even had a prong break on my baguette band but he paid to send it back to him and it is fixed with no problems.

My rings

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM,
But I would also check out the new version from Schubachs of WandH's and Ginger's ring as it is beautiful. Jen post a pic please!

[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:31 AM,
Thanks for the input! Idahojeep, I've been ogling your ring, it's really beautiful. I did see the Schubach's version of the scroll ring, it's lovely. I had some tweaks in mind, but I love how delicate they made it. The finishing on the Schubach's one just seems nicer than the DK one.

[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:37 AM,
Okay...IDJ...I LOVE your rings! Just had to say that up front.

Battah - For me personally, I want the people I order my stones from to do my ring. If anything happens to the stones during setting or something out of the ordinary like that, my understanding is that they will replace the stones at no extra cost to you. Jenncent - please correct if I'm wrong as I'm referring to Schubach's. Yes, I plan on insuring the whole ring anyway though. ha ha

Aside from that, if you choose to go with another company than who you order the stones from Jeweler's Mutual will insure moissanite as well as diamonds during setting. It's like 25-35 dollars a month, I believe. Can't beat that!

[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:38 AM,
I don't have pics...just the video. Smile But hopefully someone will buy one soon and share pics with us, lol. I want one in yellow gold, but I seriously need to save up a bit. I need to pay my oval off.

ETA: Lisa Bee, yes, if the stone is from us, it is our problem if anything happens it.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM,
Thank you. I love my ring and how it finally turned out. I love Schubach's work also and there is much to be said for their quality. Would love to have one someday. I do think that minute details are important when we are looking at our sparklies but when they are details that I cannot see without looking at a huge blown up pic it does not bother me. As long as they do not affect the structure or durability I am good with them. We all are so used to looking at pics on here that show every little nook and cranny. Those matter to some but when I am balancing a budget they just don't mean as much to me. If I look down at my hand and still fall in love with it and it is comfortable then I am happy as a hog in a waller!

[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:42 AM,
SchubiesDooBeeDoo's all the way Smile Schubach's is amazing to work with, stand by their work 100% and you will nothing but delighted with the end result!!! BUT Amcor/Poppy is a front runner, too...and their prices are pretty damn good! DK I haven't worked with (yet) but so many people seem to love his work and his prices...

[-]
  •
03-24-2013, 11:53 AM,
Love poppy and Amcor too!