From prong heads to smooth band?
[-]
  •
05-23-2013, 03:47 PM,
From prong heads to smooth band?
Advice needed! I'm going to walk you through this in photographs, and then the experts will be able to tell me if this is doable.

This is my mom's original wedding band from 1964. She started with no stones, then got a center diamond, then two side diamonds. At their 30th anniversary, 20 years ago, she remounted her diamonds onto a new band of the same width in order to go up a size and get a heavy comfort fit.

She put CZs in the original band and gave it to me. Yay! I wore it as a right hand ring for a few years, until I got engaged and got bling-conscious with rocks on both hands. Boo!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

When we did this switch-a-roo, I begged the jeweler for no stones so that it would always be simple and versatile. But he said there was no way to fill in the holes after the prong baskets were removed. There would always be noticeable fill marks, including some ugly blackness from the process.

In these photos you can see that these suckers aren't just peg based (and that I have a smooshed prong, oops). They're really welded on there for a mile in each direction.

20 years later, this year is my parents' 50th anniversary and I want to wear this band more than ever.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Has technology come far enough that making it a plain solid band is possible now?

This is what it would look like with my solitaire. Mom's band is 10mm wide and my solitaire is just shy of 3mm. I can actually wear 13mm comfortably Hide but I'm afraid it's visually overwhelming. I like it IRL, but then I look at these photos and think yikes. I wouldn't feel bad grinding the edges down so it's 8mm. I'd actually feel better about that than I do about leaving it ignored in my jewelry box.

Dear lord, my nails! Don't judge me! I've been grouting and staining a DIY project for a week.

As you can see, there isn't enough height to the band to burnish stones into it if the holes can't be filled smoothly. It's kind of an all or nothing deal, I think.

OK, hit me with your feedback! The only real wrong answer here is to tell me to wear the band without my solitaire. No can do, ladies! Wink

Sharp mind, soft belly.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-23-2013, 03:52 PM,
RE: From prong heads to smooth band?
Ye Gods. I have no practical advice, but I do have prayers that this will work because I freaking love that look. I'm drooling on myself right now.

[-]
  •
05-23-2013, 03:54 PM,
First, your hands are so amazing! That band looks great.

I am SURE they can make it smooth, at the very worst if it's a bit discolored (it might be hard to match color) you can flip it around (like you wear it now with your solitaire). I know DK can be non-responsive, but I think he could do a great job for you. Or obviously Schubbies.

Do it! I love it!

[-] The following 1 user Likes MissAnna1104's post:
  • MicheleZ
05-23-2013, 03:58 PM,
Seriously, woman, the way you talk about your hands...are you crazy?! I think you have beautiful hands!
I really hope you can have it done...I'm such such a sucker for sentimental pieces <3

Laugh More ~ Gripe Less ~ Ignore Critics ~ Order Dessert ~ Say Yes ~ Love Life
[-] The following 2 users Like Hadley's post:
  • Lorrissey, Turks
05-23-2013, 04:00 PM,
I'm also thinking this seems like a DK project. This seems to be the kind of thing he has a lot of experience and success with. I'm hoping that our resident experts Jenn and Poppyseed will chime in, too. I've been doing so many projects this past year, I've blown my own mind. I feel like I'm "one of you" now and I have enough love to spread to multiple vendors. Wink

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hadley's post:
  • McThrice, MicheleZ
05-23-2013, 04:02 PM,
(05-23-2013, 03:58 PM)MissAnna1104 Wrote: Seriously, woman, the way you talk about your hands...are you crazy?! I think you have beautiful hands!

I Heart my hands. They've always been my best feature by leaps and bounds. But as I creep toward 50, I'm getting rhinoceros hide and it's bumming me out. On the other hand (no pun intended), I wouldn't give back a single day of my 48 years of sunburn. Damn, I had fun.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
05-23-2013, 04:24 PM,
I don't know the answer. I am sure it could be done, but maybe not be "perfect" but I think it would be wearable.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-23-2013, 04:28 PM,
If you cut it down to make it thinner can you use that gold to fill the holes?

And another question. - since you're open to shaving it down, why not melt it and recreate it using the same gold?

[-] The following 3 users Like Hadley's post:
  • McThrice, MicheleZ, Munster Cat
05-23-2013, 04:29 PM,
OK, I just did a little digging since people are saying they appreciate the sentimental value. My goodness, I have no pictures that show my parents' hands! These desperate attempts are all I've got.

Here's my mom getting a crash course in iPad use from my niece. 10mm yellow gold band with her three diamonds.

Here's my dad and if you look way down there in the bottom corner, there's his matching 10mm yellow gold band. He still has his original from 1964, but he's had it made a size bigger along the way.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-] The following 2 users Like stardust's post:
  • Lorrissey, SuzLee01
05-23-2013, 04:38 PM,
You look so much like your MOM!

And I think it's kick ass that they have wide matching bands. I adore that look. Thank you for sharing! Heart