Frustrated about my vintage setting...
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 10:39 AM,
Frustrated about my vintage setting...
I'm probably overreacting, but I'm super frustrated now. I took my filigree setting to a local jeweler today to see about setting my 8mm moissanite in it. First, they told me the stone was too big for the setting (the eBay listing called it a 2ct setting, and said it should fit stones from 7.4mm to 8.8mm! This is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171035701353?ssP...246wt_1161). Then, they told me the prongs weren't cast right and it's a flimsy mess, and using the torch on it would make the whole thing collapse.

Now, I recall this jeweler telling me the same thing about a pair of earrings I took to them for my daughter. They were just little WG CZ clusters (I'm not putting diamonds on a baby!), and I wanted to change their backs to locking backs so she couldn't lose them. They told me they couldn't work with CZ because it would crack, and that the earrings were too flimsy. I took them to another, higher-end jeweler near my work, and they did them with no problem and no comment about the cz or flimsiness.

They also told me moissanites are really soft (WTF?) and that the last time they tried to set one, it cracked in half. Seriously??

However, the prongs do look a little wonky. I'm no expert, though, so I don't know what to think. And they made me self-conscious about taking it to the other jeweler bcs they're really high end, though they've always been nothing but lovely to me. I'm just frustrated, and after all the drama with the first setting getting lost in the mail and having to have them resend this one, it's already kind of putting a bad taste in my mouth. I kinda just want to return the setting and the moissy and forget about it.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 10:52 AM,
RE: Frustrated about my vintage setting...
I am so sorry! I can understand your frustration. I hope it all turns out ok.

[-] The following 2 users Like JooJooBee4's post:
  • Bethany, MicheleZ
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM,
Oh Battah what a bummer. I would consider taking it to another jeweler to see what they say. It's always good to have 2 opinions! If the setting really isn't all you thought it would be though then I would return it!

[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 11:07 AM,
I'm kind of torn. It does seem really delicate. Or really flimsy. I guess it depends how you look at it. The whole experience has just been kind of frustrating, I feel like maybe it's not meant to be.

[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 11:09 AM,
I would get a second jewelers opinion if it were me. Then go from there. I'm sorry you're having second thoughts Sad

Pearl pressure is a terrible thing...for my wallet.
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 11:16 AM,
(05-28-2013, 11:09 AM)Mamacass77 Wrote: I would get a second jewelers opinion if it were me. Then go from there. I'm sorry you're having second thoughts Sad

Yeahthat

[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 12:30 PM,
I'm sorry, that does sound really frustrating Sad I concur with getting a second opinion. I've always read good things about Diamond Zone, but never purchased from them specifically because their settings seem so lightweight and it made me leery of things like you're experiencing. Let us know how it turns out, the other jeweler may be able to turn this into a much better situation for you!

[-] The following 3 users Like KendaKarats's post:
  • MicheleZ, Munster Cat, Rusalka
05-28-2013, 12:36 PM,
I'm buying myself some jeweler's tools and start doing all this myowndamnself Big Grin

[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 12:54 PM,
Bad jewelers are infuriating: they make ridiculous excuses to avoid saying "I don't know," or "I don't think I have enough experience to do that." (Though, I suppose it's even scarier to consider that the same mentality probably exists among, say, doctors.) I had a very similar ring - it may actually be the same model - set with an OEC CZ by a guy downstairs because I don't do prong setting, and I figured I'd rather pay a pro. BAD IDEA. The idiot woman who worked behind the counter tried to tell me, a) why, when it was already set (it wasn't, I'd just popped the stone in myself), and then that b) that the prongs were too short and would probably need to be built up (at a rather steeper cost than just setting). She was massively offended when I corrected her.

Worse yet, when I picked it up, the setting job was WRETCHED - they'd cut messy seats, and just bent the unfinished prongs over. I wound up redoing it myself ... only plus was that it got me over my prong-setting anxiety! But, yeah, definitely try the other place - being high-end just means they should ideally have the experience to give you relevant advice. They'll charge for it, sure ... but it'll be worth it not to have the aggravation of dealing with idiots!

[-] The following 1 user Likes battah's post:
  • Dragonfly
05-28-2013, 01:44 PM,
Thanks for all the advice, ladies. I went to the other jeweler (the high-end one that I usually use for all of my jewelry repair - their guy is awesome), and they told me it's doable but they'd have to move and rebuild the prongs and it would be pricey. I got this setting because it was a good deal, so if it's going to be expensive to work on it I'd rather just buy a better version of the setting. It's disappointing, but at least I'm still inside the returns window. Now the question is whether I return setting and stone, or try again with the silver version of the setting (which is nice and inexpensive). I kinda want to just return everything and try again later, when I'm in a position to go for the better setting.

Circe, I think the one I have is a cheap knockoff of the one you had, lol. I found listings for the setting elsewhere, and the prongs were like little nubs and the stone sat inside it nicely. The prongs on this one are really long and crooked, and when I set my stone in it it doesn't sit inside the prongs, it sits on top of them. Which is what leads me to believe they sent me the wrong size.

I emailed the seller to ask whether they'd sent me the right size, and he swears they did. But it doesn't seem like it - the opening seems to small. I think they had this setting in different sizes on their site (I could be wrong), and it definitely seems like this one is too small. Boo.