Fun pearly moments
[-] The following 3 users Like stardust's post:
  • JuBe, MrsK, mrsmay07
01-05-2014, 09:58 PM,
Fun pearly moments
I went shopping with a friend this weekend and she was looking to spend serious cash. I'm more than happy to tag along for those kinds of excursions!

Anyway I wore my Tahitian necklace when we were out. She had to return some things at Tiffany and do some exchanges in fine jewelry at Nordstrom etc.

I got many appreciative comments about my jewelry-but the necklace in particular. One of the places we went had a bunch of baroque Tahitian jewelry and it was almost sad. I stood at the counter perusing and in the time I was there 2 others came to buy. It was a BIG SALE!!!! ELEVENTY!!!! and the necklaces were marked down like 60%. So, it was a good time to buy if you were looking.

Their pieces were....so not spectacular. The drill holes were awful, the luster was meh, one necklace had a lot of color but the pearls were almost malformed. Y'all, they were asking $1800 for these atrocities. They were originally $4-5k!

I talked one woman out of the sale (oops) and let her see mine next to theirs. I then sent her on her way to PP.

It's nice to see Tahitians being more represented, but it was still maul jewelry....even in the uber upscale mall.

Long story short-still lovin' on my Tahitians!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-05-2014, 10:01 PM,
RE: Fun pearly moments
I am so, so glad you kept them. They are true stunners.
Smile

I get distracted by shiny things
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • MrsK
01-05-2014, 10:04 PM,
they had a pastel 42 inch rope I was almost smitten with for $2k, but the pearls were like 5mm! They were adorable, but sheesh! You could do WAY better with any of our online vendors.

[-]
  •
01-05-2014, 10:16 PM,
5mm.... heck to the no. On my chubby neck they would be lost.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
01-05-2014, 10:27 PM,
I know. And PP did a special not too long ago with 42 inchers I think it was that were 8mm-11mm for around $1k. They were highly graded too.

I asked about the grading on these and the SA snapped back at me that it was 5mm! Like, "You're so STUPID!"

I'm like, ummm yeah. That's a size, not a grade....but thanks for your feeble attempt at helping me.

Crackup

[-]
  •
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM,
how fun!!!!!! It is so nice to get compliments and know you made such a good purchase!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-05-2014, 10:40 PM,
it's odd how much it helps.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • MrsK
01-05-2014, 10:43 PM,
Smile Compliments are nice for your soul.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-06-2014, 12:32 AM,
Compliments are great!

I actually stopped by the mall today to do a return. I went into Macy's to look at watches. On my way to that section, I walked by their pearls. There were some pretty ones, but nothing nearly as nice as what I've purchased online.

[-] The following 2 users Like Pearlescence.co.uk's post:
  • MrsK, stardust
01-06-2014, 02:11 AM,
Totally agree about most bricks and mortar pearls. But even worse are the tv shopping channel pearls. They make me cringe. Mis-shaped, dyed, short grown akoya, no knots. And they fly out. The sad thing is that people will believe that these poor little things are as fabulous as they are hyped up to be and never find the decent pearls which are out there.