Gem Cutter Recomendations - Malaya Garnet
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 06:36 AM,
Gem Cutter Recomendations - Malaya Garnet
The more and more that I go back and look at @SparkleFactor 's Malaya Garnet I really think that is the way I want to take the stone in my vintage flower ring project.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I was considering a Morganite but the garnet will keep the color in the same neighborhood as the original stone, and I am really liking that. Now my problem, finding an EC cut garnet in the exact color that I want. I want it to be like SF's watermelony with copper tones. I really want to avoid any purple. Now I have only been looking for a while but I think I may take too long to wait until I find the perfect color in an EC of the right size. So I was thinking if I could work with a gem cutter to find rough in the right color (or even a larger stone that can can be recut) and then have the gem cut to the size I need. Thing is, I can't for the life of me find all those fabulous gem cutters names out there. Who would YOU recommend for this?

Thanks!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 06:47 AM,
RE: Gem Cutter Recomendations - Malaya Garnet
I have never done anything custom re coloured stones but I've bought from Dana @ Mastercut gems a few times and he is such a lovely man (exceptional customer service). I'm sure he would be able to locate you the perfect piece of rough and cut it to your specs.

I'll let others chime in here now, I know many of the TFL ladies have had beautiful coloured gemstones custom cut

Oh and you need to read the recommended vendors for coloured gemstones thread:
http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Rec...ne-Vendors

(I see Jenncent has already mentioned Mastercut gems too)

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:09 AM,
lots of people use Dan Stair, I believe

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:21 AM,
Thanks @Bling It On !!

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:21 AM,
Thanks @Turks !!

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 11:29 AM,
The thing with garnets is that the color changes really need to be seen in person to know you will be ok with them. While mine is Melony - pink in some lights, in fluorescent lighting, it goes fully copper colored. So, if you go CS shopping online, be sure to require pics of CSs in ALL light variations.

You may want to visit the CS forum on Pricescope and read up on some stones, their characteristics, etc before you decide on one for sure. Wink

Also, picking rough to have cut and predicting the end result color is NOT an easy feat, even for experienced cutters! I would suggest you post pic examples of the color you want, shape & size range, and let us see if we can dig something up that might work. And maybe do the same on PS. Think about how much color change and in what directions on the color wheel you may be comfortable with, realizing that many CSs do shift even if a little bit.

Comparisons of my Malaya colors (not always pretty "pink"):
Copper

Melon

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 02:49 PM,
Actually @SparkleFactor I would like a garnet with the exact coloration of yours. "While mine is Melony - pink in some lights, in fluorescent lighting, it goes fully copper colored." I just want the stone to stay away from the bluish/purple tones it seems these garnets can have too. I was thinking about the rough thing as well and being hard to tell, but what if I found a larger stone in the exact color I want, then have it recut? That should be doable, right?

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 06:27 PM,
(09-19-2014, 02:49 PM)Brit Wrote: Actually @SparkleFactor I would like a garnet with the exact coloration of yours. "While mine is Melony - pink in some lights, in fluorescent lighting, it goes fully copper colored." I just want the stone to stay away from the bluish/purple tones it seems these garnets can have too. I was thinking about the rough thing as well and being hard to tell, but what if I found a larger stone in the exact color I want, then have it recut? That should be doable, right?

I would think it would be easier to find the right color garnet and have it recut than to find rough, have it cut, with no guarantee it would be the right color. BUT, a recut of an already cut stone could alter the color somewhat also, not to mention the risk of the stone fracturing during recut. So, it's almost a crapshoot either way.

What size range and cut/shape are you looking for again? I will see if I can find a couple options in places I know carry malayas. Maybe also posting a thread in the colored stone forum on Pricescope would be helpful. Those are some resourceful folks when a challenge is presented. Wink