Ginger, how did you source your diamonds?
[-]
  •
10-30-2012, 07:34 PM,
Ginger, how did you source your diamonds?
Hai Ginger!

I remember when you posted your ring on BTD you mentioned how you found your diamonds, but as I search for some side diamonds for a project - I realize how incredible it is that you found five (FIVE!) elongated antique stones.

Do you have any tips and tricks for those of us trying to follow in your footsteps?

Turks

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM,
RE: Ginger, how did you source your diamonds?
I think she posted that she got her centre stone and the next two larger stones from JBEG and then the last two from oldworlddiamonds.com

I might be wrong though Smile

[-]
  •
10-30-2012, 09:02 PM,
You are right Cat. Smile The center is an elongated stone and the rest are just normal cushions. JbEG happened to have a pair of ACCs that matched really well and they went nicely with my center stone. I then sent the pictures of those stones to Adam at OWDs and asked him if he could find me a pair of well matched ACCs in a certain diameter. He found me a pair that worked perfectly in size for my project. It can be hard to find matched stones depending on how you are going about finding them and how unique the faceting pattern is for what you are trying to match.

If you can, try to find them through the same vendor so that they can see them in person to know if they match well or not. If that isn't something you can do, send really good pictures of what you are trying to match to vendors you are interested in working with. OWD has a lot of inventory that is not on their website. You just have to ask. JbEG also has more sometimes that is not on their site yet. I personally find the prices at OWD a bit better and especially with the tax I have to pay with JbEG, but JbEG is also very fair in their pricing. There are other places that I have learned about from PS but I haven't personally worked with them.

I think finding antique diamonds on ebay can be really sketchy but there are people who have come across amazing deals. If you know what you are looking for and can take a risk, then ebay can be a good place to look.

I am happy to help if anyone has more questions! Smile

[-]
  •
10-31-2012, 08:47 AM,
Weird... I didn't have to pay any taxes on either of my JbEG purchases maybe because both of the things I bought were consignment? who knows? I haven't dealt with OWD, but I know that you can negotiate price with JbEG.

Sometimes you can find deals on 3-stone or 5-stone rings. I think this ring is a steal:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Je...&k=W7fPVjD

If I had the funds, I would snatch this up and take the stones out and scrap the gold. Although, I guess it depends on how you feel, because taking the stones out of the setting would basically kill the setting. So if you're not worried about the integrity of an antique piece, that's an option. It depends on the setting also. Some settings can be saved.

[-]
  •
10-31-2012, 09:32 AM,
Ahhh - interesting!! I haven't talked to OWD, but I wonder if they have really nice OMC melee and what the costs are. Since I spend so much time looking on ebay for this stuff...I should really learn what it actually costs when you buy it from a vendor

[-]
  •
10-31-2012, 11:21 AM,
Hmm...I paid tax on a consigned piece that I bought from them and tax on my diamonds. Huh Curse

[-]
  •
10-31-2012, 12:20 PM,
I wonder if the location of the item has anything to do with it... shipping from WA vs. CA. I guess I lucked out. Sorry, Ginger. I did pay for shipping though.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MoreSparkles!'s post:
  • Anxiouslywaiting
10-31-2012, 04:04 PM,
Small side note: It's silly that they make you pay for shipping, you spent thousands. Schubbies and even MoissCo didn't make me pay for shipping and I spent less. Wink did Wink

[-]
  •
11-01-2012, 06:46 PM,
I paid for shipping too and it was really expensive!

[-]
  •
11-01-2012, 08:21 PM,
Yeah, I always found that odd with JbEG, lol. The shipping is like $60 too.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website