Grandma's ring - cool story (and bezel goodness)
[-] The following 4 users Like battah's post:
  • Mamacass77, MicheleZ, RSS, stardust
04-30-2013, 08:33 AM,
Grandma's ring - cool story (and bezel goodness)
I finally figured out why MissKK's oval ring appeals to me so much - duh! The style is really similar to my grandmother's ring that I love but never wear. My dad gave it to me a few years ago after my grandmother (his mom) passed away. I unfortunately never got to know her very well - we couldn't travel to where my grandparents lived until my brother and I were in middle/high school, and by then she was in the early stages of dementia, so we didn't get to know each other that well. The one time I remember having a good conversation with her, she told me about the times when she was much younger and our family lived in a smaller village that was near an old Roman ruin. When it was planting time and they'd dig up the earth, they'd always find little things from the Romans. Usually pottery and such, but sometimes also jewelry. My grandfather had a ring with a big carnelian stone in it - the stone is carved with the silhouette of a Roman soldier. It's really cool, and looks really old. My grandmother had a large smoky quartz oval set in yellow gold, and I recall she told me they found the stone too. I think she had it set in a ring, since the setting is def old but doesn't look Roman old. Anyway, dad gave it to me after she passed because of that memory.

I don't have photos of my grandfather's ring (I'll have to get mom or dad to photograph it for me), but I'd love to learn more about it. Dad took it to jeweler once to see if we could learn more of its history, but he was told he'd probably need to take it to a museum or an auction house to talk to someone with an expertise in that kind of thing. So that's a too-be-continued story!

Below, the ring! I think you ladies will dig the setting. I used to think the little band around the bezel was milgrain, but looking more closely at it, it might be very fine twisted wire. I'm not sure. The stone is about 10x13 - I don't have calipers but I eyeballed it with a tape measure. I don't usually wear yellow gold so it hangs out in my jewelry box, but today I pulled it out and I'm wearing it. (Btw, any ideas how to clean it between the stone and the bottom? The gold part goes in pretty far underneath the stone and I think there's some grime in there. Short of taking the stone out, I'm not sure how to get it clean).

Enjoy the pics!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 08:40 AM,
RE: Grandma's ring - cool story (and bezel goodness)
Love it! Are there any hallmarks inside the band? What a great story and it makes my heart happy that you're wearing your g'ma's ring Smile Quit banishing it to your jewelry box and wear that beauty! (it almost looks purple in the pics)

Other than soaking it in very hot soapy water and/or vinegar, swishing it around in the water multiple times, then using a baby fine toothbrush that you can force the soft bristles up and under the backside, I have no clue on how else to clean it?

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 08:41 AM,
I don't have a cleaning tip but that's such a neat ring! Love antiques.

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 08:49 AM,
Love!!!

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 08:55 AM,
(04-30-2013, 08:40 AM)KendaKarats Wrote: Love it! Are there any hallmarks inside the band? What a great story and it makes my heart happy that you're wearing your g'ma's ring Smile Quit banishing it to your jewelry box and wear that beauty! (it almost looks purple in the pics)

Other than soaking it in very hot soapy water and/or vinegar, swishing it around in the water multiple times, then using a baby fine toothbrush that you can force the soft bristles up and under the backside, I have no clue on how else to clean it?

It has a stamp on the outside but I can't tell what it says. I think I need to just invest in a loupe, I've been avoiding getting one. It's kind of worn down so I'm not sure I'll be able to read it. I'll have to see if I can find out more about this piece. Dad might not know, but one of my aunts has a photographic memory for dates so she might remember some more details if she heard the story too.

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 09:58 AM,
Very cool! Amazing to have that kind of history in your collection, not to mention a treasure of your grandmothers. Smile

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM,
Cool!! Love that piece.

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM,
That's a great ring, but an even greater story. Love it! I'm so glad you're giving it some sunshine and activity, which is the equivalent of giving it love.

For cleaning, would one of those waterpick dental hose things work? I've never looked at them, I only know what the concept is. Do they get enough force behind the stream of water to kind of pressure wash the stone?

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 12:13 PM,
Hmm the waterpik is an interesting idea! We have one, I'll see if it works. I just don't want to jam the dirt in farther - there's kind of a lot in there. I may take it to a local jeweler to see if I can get any ideas.

[-]
  •
04-30-2013, 01:15 PM,
I would say give it a serious soak before waterpick-ing it, to soften and loosen everything up so that the waterpick will be able to rinse it away.

Sharp mind, soft belly.