Green Sapphire Engagement Ring
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 06:35 PM,
Green Sapphire Engagement Ring
Hi all!

I've been lurking these forums for a long time now and was previously just content to look at your sparklies and read reviews. But now I'm planning my engagement ring and could use some feedback!

I'm not a big fan of diamonds, and my boyfriend is even less of a fan. So he was thrilled when I said that I would rather have a gemstone engagement ring. I don't wear a lot of jewelry and I'm hard on the stuff that I do have (which is all costume pieces) so I figured that I would go with a sapphire with a bezel for hardness and protection and work from there.

Originally I had thought I wanted a peachy stone in rose gold.. until I went to the store and tried that colour scheme on (with a morganite instead of a peachy-pink sapphire) and it didn't thrill me, probably because I don't usually wear pink.

So now I'm thinking yellow gold, possibly with a satin finish and a green sapphire center. I love green, and love the depth that green stones have when they have a hint of another colour.

I contacted a jeweler about a beautiful bezel setting she has. It's round with a bezel, and then a halo of small diamonds with no bezel around it.

she sent me these green sapphires as potential center stones..
thoughts? Stone 1 = sage colored, no inclusions. Stone 2 = yellowy green eye clear Stone 3 = bluey green with a few slight inclusions.
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 06:41 PM,
RE: Green Sapphire Engagement Ring
Photos of the setting. Excuse my horrible photoshop job (its was microsoft paint) that I used to paste a green stone in the center

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 06:43 PM,
Very pretty! Are you interested in learning more about the treatments of the stones? I don't think green is typically treated but with sapphires being as expensive as they are, it can be good to find out!

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:06 PM,
I like the third stone, it's a little more saturated. Sapphires make great e-rings!

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM,
I like the 3rd one too because I like darker colors. Have you seen a portuguese cut in real life to know if you like them? They are quite different than a regular cut. Pretty setting!

[-]
  •
05-15-2014, 07:54 PM,
Welcome!! How exciting to be planning your engagement ring! I think I like the third option two the first looks grey and the second a little washed out. Are you a fan of the Portuguese brilliant cut? There are all types of cuts and shapes you cam get in gemstones custom or not too Smile

[-]
  •
05-16-2014, 01:16 PM,
Green sapphires are tricky because usually their saturation is quite low so they look a bit "faded". What is your budget? Do you care if the stone is treated? (treated stones are easier on the wallet)

[-]
  •
05-16-2014, 01:31 PM,
I like the 3rd one's colour too, but would also suggest spending some time looking at other cuts. Unless of course you love the Portuguese cut, in which case just ignore me! Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-16-2014, 02:17 PM,
(05-15-2014, 06:43 PM)Turks Wrote: Very pretty! Are you interested in learning more about the treatments of the stones? I don't think green is typically treated but with sapphires being as expensive as they are, it can be good to find out!

I requested that the stone not be heat treated, but I don't know much about any other treatments. I should definitely look into that!

[-]
  •
05-16-2014, 02:18 PM,
(05-15-2014, 07:54 PM)JooJooBee4 Wrote: Welcome!! How exciting to be planning your engagement ring! I think I like the third option two the first looks grey and the second a little washed out. Are you a fan of the Portuguese brilliant cut? There are all types of cuts and shapes you cam get in gemstones custom or not too Smile

The jeweler sent videos and I have to agree that the first one looks completely grey. That one is out for sure. The third looks nice, but mostly blue-ish instead of green. I think I'll see if she has any other options

I have not seen a Portugeuse brilliant cut in real life before. The certificate for the stones says fancy brilliant (is that the same thing?). I'm going to have to google some videos or look a bit harder in the stores for that cut.

This is why I love these forums.. so many things I didn't even consider!